Upgrading DELL Dimension 9200c/XPS 210

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KimCaroline, Apr 8, 2010.

1. KimCaroline

KimCaroline Private E-2

Greetings,

I'd like to go on record to document that you CAN upgrade the processor installed on an older DELL Dimension, despite what you may hear from the corporation or other users.

After extensive research and consulting with this forum and a local computer business, I discovered that the best configuration for my old space-saver, the Dimension 9200c/XPS 210 (Model: DXC061) is:

Processor: Intel Quad CPU (Q6700 @ 2.66GHz)
    Memory (RAM): 4 GB (but you CAN go up to 6 or even 8 GB!)
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series (256 MB dedicated graphics memory)
    Hard Disk: ATA 1 TB (but really, you don't need so much space)
    Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7.0 Ultimate

The performance improvement is remarkable, I couldn't be happier! I haven't put an enormous strain on the processor, I'm a writer and researcher. If you're planning to run graphic-intense programs, you should go with a less powerful CPU in the 9200c or you may fry it, who knows.

I've had zero compatibility issues. None. Zip. Zilch. (And now that I've said this, my mini-tower meltdown). I also saved, oh, a thousand bucks!

Good luck with your upgrading and don't be afraid to try new things, dang the naysayers! But be sure to do your homework, i.e., determine the upper limits of your machine. I don't want to light any fires. Check your computer power supply limitations, etc. Search on hardware upgrades and you'll find a ton of great advice to make you and your machine happy, safe and humming along.

My best,
    Kim Caroline :wave

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What was the stock processor? And speed?

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yes dell is full of bull****

Thanks for your post letting people know.

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I think you may have been one of the lucky ones!

Not many OEM machines accept such big upgrades!!

Well done;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds