MSN Instant Messenger x 2??

Discussion in 'Software' started by akanrg, Sep 21, 2003.

1. akanrg

akanrg Private First Class

I wonder if someone can tell me why I have two of the above and both try to sign in when I log on? This seems to have been a problem ever since I downloaded MSN 6.

I'm running Win XP Pro and have all the latest updates.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

AkA

2. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

3. akanrg

Thanks for the reply hw209 but this service is already disabled on my comp.

The problem, is that I seem to have 2 MSN messengers trying to sign in at the same time. It all started after I downloaded MSN 6. Is there a way around this annoyance?

AkA

4. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

look in control panel..add remove programs and see if they are both listed there.if so you should be able to uninstall one of them.

5. akanrg

I tried that as well but I only have MSN 6 listed.

6. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

huum. you got me on this one.I thought that if you installed a newer version of msn messenger it would just overwrite the older one.hoping that someone else here can help you with this one.sorry..cant think of what it could be right now but will think on it a bit and if I find an answer will get back to you

edit.. double check and see if windows messenger is disabled in services again.and then try msn 6 again

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  7. akanrg

Thanks for taking the time, man.
    I appreciate it.

AkA

8. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

also check in the tools options of windows messenger and make sure that allow to run in backround is unchecked and also uncheck start with windows.There is a tool here also that allows you to uninstall windows messenger.If you do uninstall windows messenger and have a problem you can go back to windows update and redownload it from there.If you need the tool let me know and I will look for it

9. akanrg

Couldn't find any of the options you mentioned.

10. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

bring up windows messenger and then click on tools options and then the preference tag and you will see this. Possibly what is happening is that even though you disabled it in services it may still be starting up with windows again and that is what it is causing it to run again.

edit ... pic in next post

11. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

oops ... pic didnt go into last post

Attached Files:

12. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I also have 2 msn instant messnegers and I use them both at the same time sometimes :) One is the old one that came with Win XP and the other one is v6. Instead of worrying about having 2, just have fun with them :) And like the last reply showed you, disable the auto start up. Have fun :D

13. akanrg

Got it sorted out but again, I appreciate your help.

By the way, what do you know about overclocking?

AkA

14. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

ask any questions you have about overclocking in that forum. I don't overclock but others here do and can help you with that

15. akanrg

OK, here's the deal.

In the Sept. issue of max pc they claimed that they overclocked their AMD Athlon xp 2500+ barton core @ 1.83 MHz ( which is what I have ) to 2.145 MHz without using any additional cooling gizmos.

Can I overclock my CPU just by increasing my FSB from 166 MHz to 195 as they did or are there any additional functions to be considered?

I have an MSI KT4 Ultra mobo @ 333MHz FSB if it's any help at all.

AkA

16. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

post it in the overclocking forum. that way people will see it m8.

17. akanrg

I did, and here's hoping someone can help.

Best regards.
    AkA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds