Does anybody know?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aimee Wilbury, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

How do you perform an exorcism on a microwave oven?

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

With a shotgun :cool

3. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Well, as president of Long Island Paranormal Society, I would suggest you do an EMF scan. Get an emf meter, tell me what the microwave's base reading is, and I'll tell you what to do:-D

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Make it do push-ups until you get tired?

Just kidding. What seems to be the problem?
    And welcome back. Long time,No see.

5. Aimee Wilbury

Well the microwave was making the power go out and the thing inside was spinning and lights were flashing and it was beeping sporadically.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sounds like a short circuit or bad intermittent connection.(loose wiring).

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

AR-15, or the shotgun as mentioned before. :-D

8. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

It's easy to do. first, you need a cat. the cat has to belong to you. Poke 3 or 4 holes in your cat, place the cat in the microwave and set the timer for 15 seconds. (the holes prevent the cat from exploding, see tv dinner instructions).

during the 15 second cycle, you should hear the cat speaking in its native demon language.

Remove cat, let it sleep off the ordeal, and you're done.

Obviously, I'm joking. i only have one outlet in my kitchen that will hold the microwave. i feel your pain.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes, let Tom Petty out.

Serious bit it get an electrician to check it out, either the microwave itself or your socket wiring, if its faulty its dangerous.

10. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

I try not to use ours for the reasons Digitalocksmith mentioned, bad enough when they work right. Sounds as though it's also a fire hazard

11. MoPaR

MoPaR Private First Class

Got any cd coasters? take about 15 of them, and the microwave outside, for safety reasons, throw them in, turn it on for about 30 secs and watch the show!!! :eek

12. DavidGP

Think thats happening already MoPaR

Throw soem CDs in and it would be like 4th July.

13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

In terms of the laws of physics an electric oven or hob is a radiation oven because it uses infra-red radiation to cook food,similarly an electric light could be called a radiation emitter

All a microwave does is vibrate food molecules which causes them to heat up,it doesn't significantly alter the structure at all like ionising radiation at the higher end of the electromagnetic spectrum 'alpha,beta or gamma' and it doesn't cause things to become radioactive either so saying its a radiation oven is a misnomer in the terms of dangerous radiation.

Blood is a living organism if you put it in an oven or a microwave for too long you will kill it and make black pudding which is just cooked blood.

I've never seen any study that has shown that microwaves alter food in any significantly different way than regular cooking,I also can't conceive of way it can,I'd love to read any studies you have DLS.

There is no longer a ban on microwaves in Russia.

[​IMG]

Check you haven't got too many things plugged in near your microwave,make sure you kettle ect. use a different socket.

14. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I dunno who you should believe but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't listen to the guys tryna sell you $500 home EMF protection kits. :-D

15. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

To add to the debate. Rikky's actually correct. Microwaves do no more than 'jostle' the atoms of the food/drink placed inside of them, thus causing food to heat up and cook. The only changes that occur are the chemical and physical changes due to heat.
    Anything metallic, such as aluminium foil, etc. causes a conduction of the microwaves, which can damage the oven's shielding or klystron.
    Leaking seals around the door of microwave ovens can be dangerous as they can start to heat up anyone standing very close to them, (i.e. cells popping).
    The Russian ban on microwaves due to health reasons is basically a ruse to cover the fact that they didn't want Soviet dissidents making microwave transmitters out of them.

16. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

First off I just need to say, Rikky, I see you're in top form again! :-D Awesome dude, awesome.

Now, to address this...

Several years ago I worked in an Ironmongers (hardware store) and a new product which as far as I know is still available was brought to us. It worked on similar priciples to a cable finder, the ones you wave over the wall that light up when detecting electricity. The difference was this one was designed to detect leaks from your microwave oven. What we discovered upon testing god knows how many microwaves....was that every microwave oven leaks, every single one, from the cheap and nasty to the over the top pull your pants down and wipe your arse for you models.
    So with that in mind and throw into the mix the fact that I've never heard of anyone becomming sick because of this... I think we can safely say it's a myth :)

As for the possessed oven in the OP, throw a lightbulb in it, 100w minimum otherwise it will pop :-D

Actually there are several things I've tried, when on building sights if someone brought in a microwave oven , we would experiment on the last day of the job, these were our findings.

almost all could render your microwave unusable and may cause injury, so please don't try this at home, or anywhere else for that matter

Xmas lights melt.
    Nails can cause an electrical fire.
    Flourescent tubes will simply glow with minimal risk. But if they pop your MO is done due to glass and poison dust.
    Spoon in cup will sometimes dance.
    Eggs will often explode (messy)
    Full can of pop (Not Advisable) Explode, fluid everywhere, electricity mixes, MO catches fire.
    Cat.....only joking :-D
    Tv Dinners.... May cause food poisoning or fatness.

Once again, none of these are advisable, this is meant more as a warning, do not, I repeat "DO NOT" attempt any of these acts.

These experiments were conducted in a controlled enviroment....rolleyes

17. Phantom

For those that want to read up about rumored dangers of Microwave ovens:-

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_3_32/ai_n13664949/

So you can safely file this one under 'Urban Myths/Legends', so it seems.

18. DavidGP

More like filed under "how a thread can turn 90°" Barry ;)

19. Phantom

Yeah hasn't it, Dave.;)

20. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Quite possibly........erm.... Jeff :-D

21. Aimee Wilbury

Update: It was a faulty extension cord. Moved it back and tried a different extension cord and the problem was solved.

22. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Oh wow. If we ever needed to add to the already very long list of proof for why the regulars on this side are complete and total geeks, we'll just put in a link to this thread LOL

23. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Mimsy
    Reread post #6.
    I was the closest.

24. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I am unsurprised. :-D

25. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

(takes a bow then runs for the door).

26. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Nice Call :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds