users over a small XP Home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldfish, Sep 25, 2003.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Okay, so ive got 2 machines, and i want to be able to shut down the other machine using the shutdown.exe -i program on the other.

BUT in order to do this, i need to be an administrator on the remote machine. I have the same username on the local as remote machine, both administrators, but since they are 2 local users, if i request a shutdown from one computer im not the administrator requesting it!

So, is there any way of getting round this, or is this one of XP's irritating tricks with Simple File Sharing going up the creek again?

TIA :)

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

umm, *bump*?

3. Iceburg

Iceburg Private First Class

To do a remote shutdown on another computer, you need to either both be in the same domain, or like you said use an administrator account on the other machine. Can you use the shutdown -i \\remtecomputername or thats when you get the error?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds