Win7 locking up

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, May 17, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium - this PC boots to the login screen OK, you can enter the password OK, the desktop loads OK, but about 30 seconds after the desktop loads, an error comes up stating that ".Net Framework 2.0 is required" and the PC hard locks (there's much more wording in the error message; I abbreviated it). The only out is to hit the reset button on the front of the PC. It runs OK in Safe Mode. I removed some stuff from the startup via msconfig but that had no effect on anything. There really wasn't much in the startup list anyway; maybe 3 or 4 Logitech entries for wireless kb/mouse and for the Logitech Quick-Cam, there was an entry or two for iTunes and QuickTime, a couple of Lexmark printer entries, an entry for the audio 'control panel', and that was about it. Because it hard locks so quickly when in normal mode, it's tough to troubleshoot the problem..... ideas?
    :confused

Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you tried installing .NET framework 2.0 in safe mode?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well- I found out the .NET error was related (at least partially) to something called "Speed Bit Video Accelerator". So I uninstalled the 3 programs with that name (while in safe mode) and rebooted in normal mode. Now I get NO error message, and Windows still locks up upon loading to the desktop! DOH!!!
    :banghead

Not yet . . . my work day is over! :celebrate

. . . . until tomorrow! :cry

So I'll give it a shot in the AM....

If anyone has any input between now and then, feel free to post!!!

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks! After removing the "Speed Bit Accelerator" software, and still getting the lock-up, I started thinking that the two problems (the .NET error and the hard-lock) were two separate issues. The .NET error was related to the "Speed Bit" software, and the hard-lock is related to something else. I hadn't even considered that the Lexmark software might be culprit. I'll check it out soon, and post my results (I'll be back at work in 30-40 min :( ).

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well . . . uninstalling the Lexmark drivers resolved the hard-lock problem!! Thanks!! I never would have even considered that they were at the core of the problem. Now to track down a functional STABLE 64bit driver.....

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds