Win Xp System Restore Broken..help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by jdeh, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

This has happened before and I don't know why and don't know how to fix it other than to redo the WIN XP install. When I click on the SyStem Restore button in the Help & Support section it has an error: I attached a jpeg of my snag-it of the error msg>>never done this before so be patient with me>>hope it shows up..otherwise I'll have to type all that "stuff" myself.

Thanks for your help,

Bo Bo Bolinski

:D :D :D

YIPPEE, IT WORKED>>NOW ALL i NEED IS A SOLUTION>:mad:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you could have corrupt restore points.

My suggestion is to disable System Restore.. reboot and enable system restore and try again.

3. Radman53

Radman53 Private E-2

Sorry about your problem Bo Bo, I had a similar experience with System Restore and had reload everything. I learned the hard way NOT to rely on Microsoft extended apps (System Restore/ Firewall/ .....) I disabled mine and got Roxio GoBack to rely on. It has saved me a few times.Maybe someone else has a solution to your problem but that may involve in going deep in to the bowels of your PC- Your Registry- Its scary down there.If you are daring and like to cast your fate into the winds then do it. If not then go the easy way and reload XP. If you don't have a copy of your WPA DBL file first then retrieve it.Go tothis site first. Follow the directions and you will have a backup for your PC

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was there an error before this? What was it in its entirety?

Windows Error Reporting isn't very useful IMO.

I wouldn't resign to a reload of the OS yet.

5. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

win xp system restore not working

Thanks for the replies guys. To answer questions/comments:

Radman53>>pls explain WPA DBL?

Kodo, thanks re your suggestion>>tried disabling and re-enabling>>did't work

Adrynalyne>>no previos error, just the standard windows xo send/don't send with my previous attachment embedded.

re re-installing XP...done that so many times I'm an expert, fresh install and repair..might try repair this time so I don't have to start all over with re-installing all my goodies.

Attached Files:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Cool :)

Click on the link where it says click here.

Whats the information included?

Thats what I am gunning for.

7. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

system restore

totally!:D

8. Radman53

Radman53 Private E-2

Bo Bo

WPA.dbl is a file created when you first activate XP. This file is compiled according to your hardware(CPU/memory/CD Drive/Video card, etc.) If you don't change any of these then your WPA.dbl file remains the same. If you need to reload XP without bugging microsoft for a new code, first look in your Root Directory and necessary files. This is explained in the link I put on my previous post.The files can fit on a floppy and stored away.
    When you reload XP it will go through the activation process. Tell it you will do it later. Re boot your PC and go to safe Mode.
    Take your floppy and reload the files in the same place you saw them in the Root Directory.Re boot- Bingo!!! WARNING!!!
    Dont try this to load XP in other PC's . If the hardware is different from the original, you will get the infamous BSOD!!!!

Sneaky,huh??;)

9. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

reply to andrynalye-click here

Andrynalyne>>here is the first "click here" msg>>the one at the top of this thread is the details of that. Hope this helps??

:D :D

Attached Files:

10. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

to radman53 re wbl

sneaky alright>>as a matter of fact I did put in a new vide card after XP Pro install...think that messed me up?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unlikely, but maybe :)

Here is a way to see if thats the case.

Try System Restore in Safe Mode :)

Thanks for the info (was looking for the modname).

I'll take a look at it.

12. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

VIDEO CARD MESSED UP RESTORE

aNDRYNALYNE>>IF RESTORE WORKS IN THE sAFE mODE, WHAT DOES THAT TELL US?

tHANKS, BOBO

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats there is probably a 3rd party app is causing the problem.

There are ways to determine this usually by using msconfig.

14. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

system retore solution

well, my solution didn't tell me what caused the problem...but I have system restore back...I upgraded to windows xp pro (from windows xp pro) and the system restore works again..my alternative was to Ghost (Norton Ghost to copy a hard drive) a copy of my second HD Seagate 30 gig which was OK.

Just to let you know..

Bo Bo

15. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

system restore disabled

FYI>> this is my simple but elegant solution:

I have 2 hard drives hooked up in tandem>>I used Norton Ghost to clone my other HD to the one that had the System Restore problem and it is ok now..

Thanks for your input..this is a sticky problem without a simple solution.

Bo Bo

16. flessa

flessa Private First Class

Hey, thanks for the link. I went there and registered. Finding lots of good info.

I also got to read that error screen about 10 times as my computer rebooted and finally got to the file that was causing problems (possibly?). Takes a long time to read something a few words at a time but the file in question seems to be SISGRV.

Now, since my video card is a SiS 315 and since that is one of my two new pieces of hardware, it stands to reason that this is a driver file. It would also explain why I can't change my screen settings. At any rate, seeing that, I reinstalled my video drivers. Of course, that means rebooting, and that means choosing Last Known Good Configuration or else hanging up somewhere. I let it go and it hung.

The next time, I searched my computer for that particular file and found it in 2 places. Plus on my install disk. So I copied the file off the install disk into both of those folders and replaced the one that was in there.

Haven't rebooted yet. Wanted to post before I rebooted. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work for me.

17. billH

billH Master Sergeant

"Haven't rebooted yet. Wanted to post before I rebooted. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work for me."

Okay, it's been a long time now and I'm tired of holding my breath for you. Did it work?:)

18. flessa

flessa Private First Class

In a nutshell, the answer is ....

no.

Just finished backing up everything on my C drive. When we get back from lunch, I will start formatting the drive, and do a clean install. Just haven't been able to find a way around it. sigh... after 8 months I was finally starting to get it set the way I liked it. Oh well, c'est la vie.

19. jdeh

jdeh Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds