internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwjj, Sep 28, 2003.

1. dwjj

dwjj Private E-2

please help, i am running windows 98 se, and am trying to install internet connection sharing. but when i go to add/remove programs, windows setup, there is no internet tools listing. anyone have any ideas, or know of another solution besides a router

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. Fat Tech

Fat Tech Private E-2

Setting up a internet sharing is a b*tch! I tell ya.

Once you setup the internet sharing, the IP Address for LAN Network in Networking Connection Properties is set by the I.S. setup. Thus you had to manually assign the right IP Address to the other computers connected to the main computer where you setup the internet sharing.

I suggested you stick with the DSL Router connected to the HUB and assign the DNS Address to ISP on every computers. it's much easier and more quickly to work with.
    :(

4. dwjj

dwjj Private E-2

thanks for the advice guys, but i am still missing the internet tool listing in add remove programs under windows setup, so i have no way of installing connection sharing. i did however get analogx proxy server to work, but i am not happy with it. i am just gonna go buy a router and be done. but at least for now i can browse with any of the machines on my network. ty all again

5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

If you indeed have Win98 SE (Right click My Computer then left click Properties: 4.10.1998 = Windows 98, 4.10.2222A = Windows 98 SE) Then you could try:

6. william_grace

william_grace Private E-2

Vicomsoft

Hello,

Vicomsoft.com has an Internet connection sharing software that I have used, it is fairly easy to setup and works on older platforms without any problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds