New Mobo, New CPU, Same HDD and OS-help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vhonani, Jun 10, 2010.

1. vhonani

vhonani Private E-2

I recently built a new computer with new chassis, new PSU, new mobo (Gigabyte 880GMHUD2H) and AMD Phenom II x6 CPU ---fry's special......I am using my previous SATA HDD which is a western digital (I know)...2500KS.

Problem: Windows XP begins to load up to XP loading screen then restarts. I disabled the Automatic Restart feature so I could see the blue screen message.
    I understand that because I am using a new CPU and mobo, I may need to reset the HAL. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. Here is what I've done so far:

1. Check all the cabling to rule that out.
    2. I only have Windows XP professional to run the (R) recovery but that didn't work.
    3. Ran a chkdsk (elementary watson)

I know that I used to have a quick script that would reset the HAL/Chipset drivers, but that was long ago. I can't remember what it was called or the procedures itself. If anybody can point me in a direction or post them - I would be so happy. Thanks.

V

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Windows usually flips out if you change the motherboard.

Best would be to backup your data and do a fresh reinstall.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I assume you've already tried a repair install?

4. vhonani

vhonani Private E-2

I have tried the (R) repair install and am playing with the idea of loading a spare HDD, slaving the original HDD backing it up then performing a reinstall. Not one to quickly give in to a reinstall, I am considering upgrading straight to Vista. Would that be possible? I plan on doing that anyway.
    Still would like to know if there is a script to reset the HAL. I'm going to attempt upgrading straight to Vista first.

5. vhonani

vhonani Private E-2

For reference sake, posting the current results.

1. I ran the Windows XP (R) repair, which I initially thought didn't work, but I never attempted to boot in Safe Mode.

2. I booted in SAFE MODE and it was able to load.

3. Inserted Gigabyte Utility disk and am currently loading device drivers for my MOBO and onboard items. Once that's done, I will attempt to restart in Normal Mode and run the Utility disk again for those hard to reach spots that can't be done in Safe Mode.

Will post final result when it is successful.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Huh, interesting that you were able to boot into safe mode, and install device drivers. I'll hope to remember that.

Thanks for posting!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds