Infamous "Page Cannot Be Displayed" message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ken3, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Is there a good write up and possible solutions on the "Page Cannot be Displayed" error message? I'm using Win2kPro and IE 6.0. This has to be one most aggravating messages I've run across, in particular, when it happens to a site I've been to countless times before.

When I try to sign in from my.netscape.com it just hangs and eventually I'll get this message (been like this since August - no problems before; if I did something I have no recollection). Even on this board in my PM's, I can do only one successful action in there before I run into it - comes up immediately when deleting, replying, etc.

I've done ipconfig/dnsflush, deleting TIFs, cookies, and index.dat but to no avail. I understand that sometimes this occurs when a DNS server is not working somewhere in the loop, but as far as the ones at my workplace they're fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Can you ping the address?

3. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

A basic ping to my.netscape.com results in :

C:\>ping my.netscape.com

Pinging my.gmy.netscape.com [207.200.8

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.200.86.66:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, L
    Approximate round trip times in milli-
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Ave

C:\>

and to this board:

C:\>ping 66.98.158.200

Pinging 66.98.158.200 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.98.158.200:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Don't quite understand all of this, but I assume since I'm here and posting this pinging is really all right or am I mis-understanding what pinging does?

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

not DNS then, because its resolving the name.

have you installed a firewall or somthing since then?

5. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

Kodo, could this be a cookie setting like the problem I had a while back?

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Cookies dont break pings.

Ping request timed out is more often than not a firewall or proxy setting on the computer.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

IP isn't working at all. Either TCP/IP isn't set up properly or as adryn said... a proxy or firewall is another likely culprit.

8. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

TCP/IP is over rated... Why don't we all just go back to good ol' UDP?! :D

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'll take my beads instead ;)

10. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Well, since I work at a Navy R&D lab, I know the base IT security folks have firewalls set up (hardware/software - don't know), since my computer and the majority of others are on a LAN. I know of no proxy settings that are set on my computer - I've looked.

I have Ad-aware installed now and have had it uninstalled -reinstalled before and it wasn't a problem. Now on the otherhand I did have SpyBot installed but don't recall when I had that installed - it's uninstalled now.

Well, when I cleaned up my PMs this morning, I did it one or two at a time, looked at them again, and each time it worked! No error message :). Message still happens with Netscape site though - hmmph. Still a mystery.

11. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Try typing 64.12.180.19 in your browser location blank. Same problem, or successful load?

12. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Typed it - success. That's the main Netscape page. When I go to my.netscape.com that works. It's when I go to sign in

http://info.netscape.com/fwd/mylogi...rigUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.netscape.com&authLev=0

is where I run into the problem - waiting and waiting and error message.

OBTW - I did this also on my dad's computer in South Carolina without any problems. Different DNS server I assume. He uses Earthlink.

I am using IE 6 using privacy settings to block all cookies (1st and 3rd and allow session only) with an allowed list (that includes this great place :) ) that contains what I think the necessary Netscape/AOL cookies for retaining my login information. If I need to I'll wipe the slate clean (TIFs, history and cookies) and allow all cookies again, but only as a last resort. I've done this before when this first started but to no avail.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  13. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Also, I get the error message when editing my previous post. It took but I don't know when it did cause I clicked on Save quite a few times. When I refreshed this thread it did show up. ???

14. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Is your ethernet card alright? Could it be the drivers? Just a shot in the dark, hope this helps.

Another shot in the dark...go to Start/Setting/Control Panel/Administrative tools/Component Services and look to see if there are any critical services that are not running. The event viewer may give you some information also.

Eric

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  15. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Eric,

Hadn't thought of ethernet card driver .... everything looks alright there as far as I can tell - says working properly. I would think since my internet connection is always on since I'm on a LAN and there are some admin folks that monitor LAN/network connectivity something would've shown up.

Did look at the services earlier in particular the DHCP and DNS client services - they get started automatically and currently running. Couldn't see anything else out of the ordinary.

16. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

When you get the error, have you tried RELOAD? Does this ever work?

Mozilla is more tolerant than IE of our school's slow DNS server. Hitting reload almost always works for me.

I do not know how to increase the times our browser will wait for a reply from a site. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me does.

17. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

I've tried that too. I came across this article from Speedguide.net about the DNS cache and some tweaks.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158

still didn't work.

18. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

I have this EXACT same problem. Interent will work fine for awhile, then I will get "page cannot be displayed" Here is how I fix it on my machine: When the error occurs, go into Control Panel/Network Connections/Right click on Local Area Connection/ Then choose "Configure"/ENABLE 802.1p
    After I enable this the problem is fixed (for awhile). If it doesnt work after you enable, enable and then disable see if it works. This works for me, but the problem comes back. Then if I go back in and disable the problem is fixed for me again.. try it let me know if it works.

19. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

can you post the PM's you got ? I may need the info to fix my machine

20. Wisewiz

No need to kill 'em all. Edit the list, and remove the Netscape cookie(s). You'll get e'm back, but new ones.

First, in IE, in Internet Options, temporarily set the Advanced tab switch that says "Empty Temp Int Files folder when browser is closed." (I leave it set that way all the time to assist my "Cookie Manager.") Then close IE so the TIFs folder files (not the cookies) will be wiped.

Then make a New Shortcut on the desktop for a few mins while you edit the cookies:
    %windir%\Explorer.exe/n,/e,"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

(easiest to copy and paste in the shortcut target space, then edit username)

That'll bring up your own "Cookie Manager." Scan the list and delete the Netscape baddies, then try your link again and let us know. It's just possible that it's a simple thing like that, when we're all looking for something complex.

I just tried your link and it worked fast for me, but I don't let them place a cookie: I have my Firebird remember logins and p/words, because nobody but me (well, and the missus) has access to my comp. It came up like summer lightning and had my "Screen Name" and the familiar asterisks already there. I UNcheck the default-checked "remember me" when I visit the site.

21. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

The PMs I deleted were not related to the problem I talking about in this thread. I was (occassionally stil do) run across the Page not Displayed error if I try to do something when managing my PMs or even editing one of my messages.

22. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Wisewiz,

I've always had the Empty TIF files folder set. I've deleted the Netscape cookies before and did it again today, but to no avail.

Is it possible from your location, that a DNS search on the link I provided will come from a different DNS server than from where I am?

I know when I ran into this error message when going to Webattack a while back, I just stopped going there. When I went back there, maybe like 2 months later, I was able to get back in. Now I'm thinking, since that period of time, the DNS cache that Win2k stores removed those entries, so when I came back and looked at the site a fresh DNS search occurred and voila. Maybe I need to do the same thing here - just not visit Netscape for awhile. But I would think by doing IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS, that would have done the same thing. :confused:

This is more annoying than anything else and probably need to "let go" of this for awhile. Keep ideas coming, maybe there is something I haven't done - I'll give it shot.

Thanks

23. Wisewiz

my.netscape.com:

Host name: my.gmy.netscape.com

Alias: my.netscape.com

Try it when you have a min.

24. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

It may be that your network is configured to block IGMP (ping) traffic. Blocking incoming traffic is fairly common, but outgoing isn't unheard of.

Try a tracert or a pathping.

If you want to test DNS name resolution, use nslookup.

25. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

:confused: UDP is part of the TCP/IP protocol stack.

26. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

They all take me to the basic My Netscape page. Signing in still waits and then error.

I also tried to get to the individual site references in the link I provided -

info.netscape.com -- worked
    my.screenname.aol.com -- error message (hmmmm)

Did Tracert on my.screenname and got:

C:\>tracert my.screenname.aol.com

Tracing route to my.screenname-grt.aol.com [64.12.151.176]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms usr-a.nswc.navy.mil [128.38.14.15]
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

DNS search looked like it worked based on translation but beyond that ???

27. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  28. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Goldfish -

1st link - I reinstalled nettcpip - no difference
    2nd link - The "reset" subcommand of "netsh int ip" is not available under Win2kPro. Couldn't use the tip.

Appreciate your help.

Ken

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Don't want to hijack too much, but Goldfish, beware of that reinstall for TCP/IP.

Its a bunch of BS. We played around with it at work.

The inf in itself is not written to properly reinstall TCP/IP, without editting it. It does very little.

--I would have to find the info at work as to WHAT needs to be editted.

However, if you reinstall TCP/IP through the GUI, you can go much further.

[​IMG]

(You have to choose have disk... and type C:\windows\inf and click ok)

--this will actually rebuild missing winsock and winsock2 keys if used correctly.

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

that said, i doubt tcp/ip is broken.

pinging loopback is a good test to see:

If its ping request timed out, there is likely some sort of firewall/proxy software installed somewhere. I know thats already been mentioned, but still. If a different error, then yeah, I can believe TCP/IP or your winsock is broken.

As for not being able to ping out, it was mentioned above, but ping traffic was likely disabled from your provider's end.

In fact, I would be shocked if it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2003
  31. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Hop 1 is your gateway, and you're not getting beyond that. 90% chance this is not your fault. However as I said, it is not uncommon to block IGMP traffic. The gateway might just be dropping such packets. "Request timed out" is a consistent result with that.

This basically just means that the tcp/ip diagnostic utilities are of no use to you. You could contact your sysadmin to see if the gateway or DNS servers are overloaded and not responding to all service requests.

Try:
    C:\>netsh
    netsh>int
    interface>reset all
    interface>quit

This works with Win2k (I checked), but I do not know for sure if it has the same effect. However it did not harm my net config.

32. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

I've tried all you guys recommended...still no dice.

I'll talk to someone I know at the sysadmin level and see what they can come up with.

I'll let y'all know the outcome.

Thanks

33. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Update

Well I got a call from someone researching my problem and it turns out that any URL that contains my.aol.com will be blocked here at my workplace. You can get to AOL.com (NOT!!! :D) but not to my....aol.com. Nothing more I can do now. Oh, well.

Appreciate all of your suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds