Wicked Storms In Arkansas

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arkansas_flooding

Dang, nasty storm. One river rose from an average depth of 3 feet, to 23 feet, in the middle of the night! I hope they start finding a lot of survivors.

Wow, down here, we just has a normal thunderstorm.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, saw that on the news yesterday. 3 inches of rain in an hour!:eek Man, you could drown just by walking in that!

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

18 known dead. 24 still missing. The area is in a valley and the run off from the mountains ( total of 6 to 7 inches ) lifted the river flood level from 3 feet at 1:30 am to over 23 feet by 4am. Middle of the night, no sirens in the area and basically no cell phone reception. Small children as well as adults were literally washed away. :( I still can't get my head around the idea that with over a hundred people camping out there, no one had a clue that the storm would result in a flash flood!! How can you "wake up" and find yourself surrounded by fast flowing water? Tragedy in that no one had a clue.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

That is some freaky weather. Is it me, or does the level of tragedy and catastrophe seem to be rising? Jeez, I can't remember when I was a kid, this many natural and man-made upheavals. I reckon the climate change prophets of doom could be right after all and we've funked ourselves good and proper.
    Either I'm paranoid or I've got a bad memory of what happened when I was young.
    So much bad news lately I get elated when I hear a little bit of good news.

R.I.P.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your just getting older like me,how many times did you come in from playing the street as kid looking forward to the ten o'clock news :-D

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your just getting older like me,how many times did you come in from playing the street as kid looking forward to the ten o'clock news :-D

In fact how many 24 hour news channels were there when we we're kids? there's about 10 of them now...

7. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Good point, Rikky.

8. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

It sure is a mess out there. Tornadoes S. of us, too.... I am still waiting to hear from friends in Arkansas, but haven't heard anything from them yet.. Yes, Tim, sounds almost unbelievable, for sure. :( I think Ricky has a point, tho. Besides that, we have more news available now, than we did years ago. Then, it was wait until the late news, but now, it is anytime you want news, just turnon the TV, or boot up the computer.. :(

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

A terrible thing. :cry

I heard on the TV that they have found all the missing people/bodies bar one.

Bazza

10. silas

silas MajorGeek

That is pretty sad and horrible to see/hear. I had family down south where tornados and heavy storms were and they got severe dmg and they said they got many people out there now tring to clean up the town. Also where I live we have had horrible last week or 2 weeks max of heavy rain and thunderstorms. Nothing but big floods here. Another thing is we have a sink hole in town that we dont have money to fix/or equipment to fix. And to fix/replace all the old pipes in town would cost over 40 million. Thanks to good work of my town over the last long list of years of never fixing or replacing things they finally now stand at a true head ach of what to do. Will they raise taxes on things again to pay for stuff we didnt do but the officals? My town is small and had 2 police stations and 3 fire stations for less then 10k people... the city raised taxes for the town to build brand new fire station and police station(what why) could have went for something more important when all is fine and crime isnt an issue here cept drunks and fights.

11. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I heard from my friend, and they are alright. He said that the rain came down, and since that is a valley, it rose 20 feet in 5 minutes. They didn't have a chance. He is a cub scout leader, and he does do camp outs too, so this all really threw him for a loop. :( Especially when they found that last guy.. So very sad....:cry

12. silas

silas MajorGeek

I had horrible afternoon. Girlfriend had to work and it was pouring rain one of the worst Ive seen. I normally drive her when its horrible out, due to bad drivers and just to be safe. Anyways I go out to the car and figure Id pick her up at the door entrance. Go to car and sit for over 20 minutes, she calling and wondering where I am. I said its so bad I cant see anything :-D And so finally after a while I finally go get her. Now all roads, parking lots even yards was heavly flooded. I told her Iam going to take the back roads to get off the other cars and miss some floods. Well get 2 blocks down, had over 1 foot of water.. and train went by and I could see nothing but big waves it was making. I ended up going through and traveled through horrible waters. And to get to the main part I ended up driving and running few stop signs and stop lights due to couldnt do anything. It was over 2 ft the car started to flood on the inside of the car. I got Gf saying omg omg.. and I am saying we aint stopping! Cause car just sit and flood out in this huge pile that formed in 30 minutes. Anyways many others were just tring to get through. We ended up going through over 15 huge flooded areas just to get to work.And ambulance was going by at many places and they could barely get through. And many times the car when breaking was like driving on ice and sliding and etc.. it was horrible day of traveling. Just picture towns of flooded corner sections and cars just floating in them or sinking .. many times I went up in people yards with others because it was so deep and water was up in yards!

13. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Good Grief Silas! That sounds awful for sure! :eek That is a LOT of water ! Glad you are OK, so hope your evening is better for you. :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds