Links and hyperlinks missing on MG

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Jun 17, 2010.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes that's right, all of them in the forum and also in the Download Freeware etc. :cry :cry

I can't post any links either. :cry:cry

Yesterday eve I tried out the on-screen keyboard and am curious if that caused the problem.

I've got no clue.

Please help!!!!!

See attached pic (if THAT works) and rub your eyes.

EDIT: attachment not working either, I saw it in the "preview post"

Attached Files:

• MG.jpg
      MG.jpg
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Does the same thing happen using IE? Try making some changes in NoScript(Temp allow entire page).

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yes, I can see the links, hyperlinks and attachments in IE7 but NOT in FF or Google Chrome. I'm using IE now. Although I tried to temporarily allow entire page it didn't work, but then I forgot to refresh the page. I will get back with an answer on that one.

I thought it had to do with HTML or whatever....

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

I did temporarily allow this entire page in FF refreshed but that didn't work. Strange that Google Chrome doesn't have the same add-on NoScript as Firefox and links + attachments don't show there either.

I hope that this can be solved because I don't like to use IE. :(

Thanks!

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

I can see the links and attachments in FF SAFE mode.

Strange thing is that I can see the above now also in Chrome, while before changing FF to safe mode I couldn't.

Attachment doesn't work in Chrome.

Attached Files:

• MG1.jpg
      MG1.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. oma

oma MajorGeek

New info on this problem which has been solved by disabling all add-ons in FF and enabling them one by one.

It's Adblock Plus in Firefox that make the links and attachments invisible. Nice trick!! :-D :-D ;)

It's Adblock in Chrome that does ditto as the above.

I really don't like this as I will have to disable Adblock when visiting MG although I appreciate that the owners of MG need their advertisements.

The main reason I love FF so much are the AdBlock and No Script features. I'm an old lady who has difficulties digesting all the flashing ads & advertising because of their busy looks for me. Also prevents me from clicking inadvertently on an ad that I shouldn't be doing. :-D :-D

Thanks plastidust for starting to lead the way in solving the problems.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use ADBlock Plus in FF and don't have the problem of links disappearing.
    Enable ABP and come to a MG forum page, then click the down arrow aside of ABP and click on "disable on forums.majorgeeks.com" and refresh the page. Can you see the links now?

8. plastidust

Like Plodr and you, I too use Adblock Plus(think most do) but I've never had to change any settings for it that pertain to Major Geeks. Maybe it's one of the "Filter Subscriptions". What Plodr suggests should work.

In the earlier days of Adblock Plus there were a few other add-ons that it would conflict with. But I think all of those have been fixed. If all else fails, try un-installing it and then "Re-start - Re-start":-D and then re-install and re-start.

Just had a minor problem myself and discovered I had a couple of corrupted add-ons, so un-installed and re-installed them. Problem seems to be solved.

Ok, strike that part about pertaining to Major Geeks. Before I logged in I could see the thumbnails you attached. As soon as I logged in the thumbnails disappeared. What the heck:banghead

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you plodr! Your instructions worked!
    Now have to see how to do it in Chrome which I just installed a few days ago.

10. oma

oma MajorGeek

I didn't see any thumbnails either. When I attached a thumbnail and clicking on the "preview post" I would see them but NOT when clicked on the Submit Reply button. They disappeared magically in the posts just exactly like the links I posted since the problem began. :-D :-D :major :major ;)

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

@Oma
    Just curious.
    Are you still using IE7 as shown in your signature?
    IE8 has 'Compatibility View Settings' where you can add specific sites that may have a problem displaying properly in IE8 Standards mode.
    With the included 'Developer Tools', you can further tweak how the browser
    behaves by having it act like earlier versions of IE.
    If you set it to:
    Browser Mode: Internet Explorer 7
    Document Mode: Quirks mode

it will behave like IE6, with it's usual bugs.

One thing you may do in IE to make things 'less busy' looking and possibly speed up browsing a bit is to turn Off the display of animations.

In IE8:
    from Tools menu item -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab
    under Multimedia, uncheck 'Play animations in webpages'

I think this is in IE7 also.

I like the idea of putting that stuff in your signature, as it quickly answers many possible questions without having to add anything to your posts. ;)
    Think I'll add that to mine too.

12. oma

oma MajorGeek

@mjac,

I only use IE7 to let windows update, that's about it. When it was announced that IE8 would present itself as an express windows update in XP, I blocked it with a IE 8 Blocker Tool from Microsoft. Heard too much about giving many problems, especially with XP and some other software like SpywareBlaster.

Have been using FF since 2004 and love it due to the ability to customize it to your own liking.

13. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Actually, it was a Critical Update.
    'Express' is a Microsoft update option (button) that will just install the critical updates.

I had forgotten about that. I too was getting repeated notices about critical updates being available
    and IE8 was the only one that I did not install,
    so I also installed the blocker tool from Microsoft which I think eliminated those notices.
    Later, after researching the 'problems' with IE8, I felt comfortable that those issues would not be a problem
    or that they had been fixed - not remember exactly.

Like you, I only use IE to get Microsoft updates or on the rare occasion when
    a site Requires IE and won't even accept Firefox.

My browser of choice is still Opera, but I have Firefox installed and I use it occasionally.

14. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

@ Oma, I am using IE 7 also, and also put a block on IE 8 on mine Does sound weird tho, because I can see the links, and attachments... I am not using any ad-block either. It is the latest version of FF. But then, I only use it occasionally, not exclusively. Very interesting, as to why this is happening.. :confused

15. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thing is that the links and attachments weren't showing in Firefox but they DID in IE7.

I use Adblock Plus in FF and had ads blocked all over the web. When I added MG to the Adblock Plus whitelist (to see ads), everything is fine and can see the links, posts them and see and post attachments. I could see the links in IE7 because I don't have any Adblock Plus add-on in IE7.

Therefore I surmise that there must have been some changes made in MG. ;)

16. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No, there were some changes made in Adblocks. See if any latest update will fix that. Others have also reported that links will not show until MG's is added to the list.

See this Thread.

17. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks for clearing that up Tim. I always get an automatic advice from FF that there are updates for an add-on. Not received any update yet for Adblock Plus.

18. TimW

I believe it has been reported, though not sure. I am assuming that Halo may have done so. Somehow, MG's got on their list.

19. oma

oma MajorGeek

Tim, does the pic below tell you anything? I never touched the options in the Adblock Plus and don't understand the blue entry of MG in the list. Not the top one though because that's the one I entered in Adblock Plus' whitelist. It's the highlighted one with the word "maxthon gif" in it.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

20. TimW

Oma, I don't use that filter, but I would suggest you un-enable that line for maxthon. This is exactly what I was referring to in that adblocker has, for some unknown reason, added that for MG's.

21. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks Tim.

I've got 2 more pics from FF's Adblock Plus where MG is listed down their humongous list. Don't know whether it's of any use in posting them here.

I'm just wondering, since the same problems cropped up also with Google Chrome, if the programmers of both Adblocks are one and the same?

22. TimW

Very likely. ;)

23. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i posted here

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1504456&posted=1#post1504456

not knowing about this thread, i seem to have found a fix for mine,

i'm using the easylist usa filter,

i've just gone into 'open blockable items'

the top line had this marked as hidden

majorgeeks.com##a[target="_blank"]

i right clicked on it and dissabled it - job seems to have been done,

i have all links back and thumbnails

(same as in TimW's linked thread)

24. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I find it doesn't make any difference whether I'm signed in or not. Still got the same problem with MG and I reckon we will until at least the next ABP filter update.

25. plastidust

Well at the time this started I had a bad stick of ram(unbeknownced to me). Shortly after I made that post everything went down hill in a hurry. Anyway by the time I got the new sticks of ram, oma & plodr's white list solution was being implemented, so didn't see a reason to relate my individual ram problem which didn't have anything to do with every one else's disappearing links problem.

All that said, think oma & plodr's solution is best. As well as hawklord's discovery, I've since found a lengthy url in the filter list that will block the search results from the MG home page search. One of the reasons I use Adblock Plus is to help reduce the risk of malware infected adverts, don't believe that is going to be a problem here so no reason to block.

Why MajorGeeks is in the block list at all is beyond me, but who knows what other MajorGeeks objects have been stuck in there?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds