Is It Spam Or A Virus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by |Robot|Bender, Oct 1, 2003.

1. |Robot|Bender

|Robot|Bender Private E-2

I'm getting bogged down by emails that have this body to them :

Hi.
    I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not be delivered to the following addresses:

Undelivered mail to xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx

-or-

This is the qmail program

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to one or more destinations.

Undeliverable mail to isxkotge@freemail.com

-or- variations of that...

The email address always changes, but its not any addresses that i know of or have in my address book.

I'm pretty sure its not a virus, but i'm afraid someone is trying to use my email address to send spam..and i want to verify that if possible.

Anyone?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

does it have the original headers attached to the message?

3. |Robot|Bender

No, and thats the weird thing......

None of them do.
    Just the text.

Usually when you send an email to the incorrect address you have a header. I also am the IT admin who monitors all rejected mail / virus blocked mail...so i'm annoyed that i am befuddled by this issue...:(

4. phil2002

phil2002 Private E-2

I went through a spell of getting stacks of "qmail" emails - no idea what qmail is, but it bugged the hell out of me. It just stopped one day, and I have no idea why!

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

does it return from "hotmail" addy as well as this freemail place? Because they dont use "qmail" thats for sure! :p

Its probably not a virus because generally they send to emails in the address book rather than at random (more efficient that way).

6. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

7. |Robot|Bender

Thank you for the input. I guess i'll just try and block as many of the email addresses i can at the firewall level and wait it out. HOpefully i won't have to change my email addy because of this.

Since they aren't getting any returned email, i guess they already know the address is good.....

I HATE SPAM!!!! :(

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Only skimmed through post, sorry :(

Qmail, for whoever asked, is a mail server.

9. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

No way to be sure, but it's possible someone, or several someones, that have your email address on their system got infected with the SoBig virus, or one of the other sender-spoofing viruses that grab a valid email addy off the infected system and use THAT as the sender (you in this case), and is hitting that qmail server with infected messages. Since the virus spoofs the sender, the recipient will send any failure notices back to you. There was a period during SoBig's heavy days that I'd get up to 20 of those per day (and over a hundred virus laden messages per day). Whoever it was evidently eventually found & removed the virus(es), as it eventually trickled off & died. It could be someone you know, or it could be from a message that got forwarded 17 different directions, as SoBig looks for addresses all OVER the computer, not just from the address book, making it impossible to figure out who actually is infected.

10. |Robot|Bender

Now THAT makes sense.

So i guess i just have to keep filtering this crap until they figure out they have a virus.

Of course, i wish i could find out whom it was so i could tell them.....ah well..

As long as i'm not infected...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds