Question About An Audio Update....

Discussion in 'Software' started by ANHEDONIC, Oct 1, 2003.

1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i went to the microsoft update website and there's a driver update for "Nvidia Coporation - Sound"...

"NVIDIA Corporation multimedia software update released on June 17 2003.*
    Download size: 548 KB, < 1 minute"

now i believe my computer uses NForce audio and i was wondering if downloading this update could potentially cause any problems with my sound after i install it... one of the main uses for my computer is listening to mp3's so i'm a bit hesistant to update my audio drivers... i like to go by the rule "if it aint broke, don't fix it".... even if i did download this update is there any chance that it will actually improve the quality of the sound emanating from my computer?

2. johnsr

johnsr Private E-2

Just my personal feeling on this issue. In the many years I've practiced this hobby, I have rarely downloaded HARDWARE DRIVER updates from MS. Seen to many users get bad/poor results. If the update site tells me it has an update for my hardware, I visit the manufacturers web site. If they show an update you can read about what it does, and decide if you want to install it.
    In general I'm with you, if your not having any particular problem, don't go looking for trouble.
    You can also download the driver and save it someware for any down the road needs.

3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The only drivers you should use from MS are those that come with Windows. Otherwise, get drivers from the manufacturer. Windows Update has notoriously bad drivers. The few times I've downloaded them they've broken something.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Depends if its in the Drivers section of Windows Updates.

Then it actually is a driver.

6. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

thx for the advice fellas.... i'm not gonna bother downloading because i don't envision it improving any sound quality and i've experienced no audio problems....

just a quick question.... is NForce audio integrated sound or is that a type of sound card?

7. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds