I need Ad-aware help

Discussion in 'Software' started by snow scorpion, Oct 2, 2003.

1. snow scorpion

snow scorpion Private E-2

I've downloaded AD-aware 6.0 and run the program.

I've gotten as far as the "scanning results" page. The software found 460 "New objects".

What am I supposed to do with these results?

I've read the user's manual and either I've become an idiot or this section of the manual is poorly written. Either way, I can make no sense out of what the manual is telling me do with the results of the scan.

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to do next?

2. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

The items it shows you have check boxes next to them, check the box, then when you hit next to remove them. It is up to you to check the ones you want removed :)

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Right click the results page and choose all. lot quicker this way when you've got 460.

Edit. You may lose some "free" programs so be sure to archive the log so that you can restore.

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Then after your finished download Spybot ..from MajorGeeks
    download http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2471
    After installing do a update first.After installing update shut the program down,then start up Spybot and do a scan.
    Everything in red is safe to delete

5. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

For less technical people I do not recommend Spybot. It has many so called "features" that can break programs or disable stuff you actually need no to mention the interface is VERY poor.

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

:rolleyes: ya gotta be kidding.?Kodo tell the man

7. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

snow,
    If you just keep using the Next buttons at the bottom of the panels, AA'll help you through the process.
    If you're worried about so many changes, here's a safe and easy way to handle a very large number of found suspects:

After the first scan finds a large number, select the first third of them and kill 'em. Then compute for a day as usual, and if all is well (and it almost always will be), run the scan again and this time kill the first half of the finds. On the third day, run it again and kill everything it finds. That cuts the huge number into manageable thirds, and you can restore the third that makes a program complain if anything goes wrong. Then reboot and scan again and kill everything EXCEPT the find for the program that complained.

8. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

Compairing Spybot to Ad-Aware, Ad-Aware is a lot more simplistic then Spybot. I mean look at all the tabs and options....if someone has a problem figuring out Ad-Aware I wouldnt even recommend them running Spybot....its not worth the hassle for the few if any differences it will find compared to Ad-Aware.

9. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

I agree with mtmra70.
    And use "quarantine" instead of "delete" for those objects . . . just in case . . .

10. snow scorpion

Thank you, everyone. I hope you'll put up with my ignorance a little longer.

How do I know which ones to remove? I mean, aren't all of them bad for the computer?

To be more specific, there are a lot of entries from "hotbar" and a lot of "tracking cookie." Let's say I check the boxes to the left of all the Hotbar and Tracking cookie entries...

At the bottom of the window is "quarantine" "check logfile" and "next."

which of these three buttons do i click?

Also, the user's manual says, "It's recommended to create quarantine archives (isolate and backup) prior to removing any items!" How do I do that?

11. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

the "tracking cookie" is the least of your worries, it is only used when you go to that site. It is the registry entries and exe's that are the important stuff to remove/quarenteen. I can tell you now hotbar/huntbar is BAD and you want to remove it, but google the other apps that it finds to maybe lead you to what the app is :)

12. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Checkout this page on what hotbar does. I wouldn't want it on my box. that's what I meant about "free" programs Spyware, ugghh

13. snow scorpion

OK, so I check the boxes to left of hotbar/huntbar entries, the registry entries (those are the ones that look like a rubik's cube coming apart, right?) and the exe's.

Now what do I click at the bottom of the window? Quarantine? or Next?

14. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

Quarentine if you want to keep them "just in case" - next if you want to delete them.

15. snow scorpion

Thank you everybody for the advice and help.

I got ad-aware to run and clean my computer.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds