System Restore On Guard (Again)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Adrynalyne and I recently got into a long and fairly detailed exploration (on this forum) of what, exactly, the System Restore system does and doesn't do in XP.

Just a postscript to that: There are three kinds of Restore Points made by SR: (1) routine-scheduled-daily, (2) manual-on-demand, and (3) automatic-pre-major-change.

I was pleased to note this morning that SR created TWO pre-major-change RPs when I installed the two current updates at WU: one before the first hotfix installation, and another before the second.

If it has ever saved your bacon, and it has saved mine several times, it's good to see that SR is paying close attention to what's happening.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I couldn't find the thread so I don't know if this was mentioned. I, with millions of people, trusted SR until it betrayed me. After much hunting I found that stopping and restarting SR fixed it.

On a subsequent clean install, SR failed again, redid the above and it worked.Having nothing to lose, I clean installed again, immediately stopped and started SR and I haven't had a problem since Feb.

I don't have any idea why, but it worked for me.:D

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

augiedoggie,
    I'd really like to have some more info on that. Could you tell me exactly what you mean by "it betrayed me" and "SR failed again"?

When I read about the first "betrayal," I thought that you had just passed the ceiling on RPs, and that you "fixed" it by shutting SR off (thus deleting ALL of the Gig or more RPs that can collect there), but then the "failure" right after a clean install COULDN'T be the problem with too much stuff in the System Volume Information folder, so I'd appreciate it if you'd describe the "failures" that restarting SR fixed.

If you can find the time...

(Oh, and you might learn something useful from the earlier thread still. It's at
    THIS LINK.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I am using a severaly abused Dell Optiplex that isn't even compatible with XP right now.

When I say abused, it has a hacked up, half broken registry on the system.

Its a guinea pig.

However, System Restore works just fine.

I would say that 99% of the times System Restore fails is because of viruses and third party apps breaking it.

5. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

Its saved me a few times... saved me alot of time...

I am in favor of SR.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds