Keeping Windows Running at a 110% - A guide on tweaking

Discussion in 'Software' started by Balbanebeoulve, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2003
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

[[whisper] links forum ;) [/whisper]

3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Trillian pro does 6 now, i'd know because i own trillian pro, and i'm a junkie like you discribed.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  4. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Gaim does ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu. That's 8 ;) And it supports Windows and UNIX... :) AND There's no pay version, it's ALL free...

gaim.sf.net

5. Thunder

Thunder Private E-2

Explain please. Isn't the purpose of the cache to speed up browsing?

6. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

It probably would speed up, if you choose to get the page only if it's not updated it has to check fi it has the page, then compare it, if the page is new, it has to cache the new one and display teh new one, so fi you just clear your cache, it doesn't have to search anything, it's obviously not there, and it can just get the new page.

7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Security section, you may want to stay be consistent with your use of either "cracker" or "hacker" don't change in between, and on that note... Use cracker ;) I'd also talk about problems with firewalls... ie ZoneAlarm can be port scanned if teh SRC port is 53 (DNS), and it's hard to uninstall, etc. May also want to recommend buying a software/hardware firewall for maximum effeciency and just because they have a firewall, doesn't mean they're safe.

8. Balbanebeoulve

Thanks for all the updates guys. I'll edit the trillian stuff, so that it's updated.

About the cache, it takes up a lot of undeeded space, lots of people only visit a site once and then it's cached, why not just empty it? And unless you have 56k or the site is huge the cache won't help broadband users much. Like who needs to cache google :D

Err, and Adrynalyne, did you want me to link the forum?

And Vlad, yeah I'll fix that.

No one has commented on the ..."goodness" of the guide...

Do you all think it sucks

:(

Thanks for the feedback guys.

9. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Considering I actually read through most of it, it's pretty damn good ;):D

10. Thunder

Thunder Private E-2

One size doesn't fit all. Instead of saying delete you might say delete if ....

11. Balbanebeoulve

Ah, well I'm sorry for presuming that. I'll fix that too.

12. Balbanebeoulve

I'd like everyone who has helped me to look at the very bottom of the guide :)

13. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

hey does that have plug-ins? Skinnable? i use trillian to bring me the news, weather, and check my mail. Can that gaim thing do all that? I even have trillian check my spelling for me...

14. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Gaim has spelling, Plug-ins, yes, it has spelling, and by default it comes with alot of plugins but only AIM is loaded (MSN, ICQ, etc. are different plugins), Skinnable, I think, I've never had the need but if you look it probably is, news/weather, I don't think so, mail, probably, never had the need. Look into it, I just it for plain chatting mostly...

15. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

i have a TON of regestry hacks that make windows load faster, etc. I'll list them here, with what they do so you can add them to your site. I'll also tell you which operating systems they run on.

All of these regestry hacks require regedit or some other regestry editor to edit the regestry. You must open regedit and then follow the directions in the tweak. Most require rebooting before going into effect.

Makes machine boot 5 - 10 secs faster: (win xp)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> SessionManager -> MemoryManagement -> PrefetchParameters

change the value from 3 to 5

==============================================
    Faster menus (start menu too, win xp):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Desktop

change the MenuShoDelay value to anything you want (in milliseconds) i reccommend 2000

Remove the automatically entered "shortcut to" prefix so it will not say shortcut to when you create a shortcut (all windows os's)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Explorer

find the "link" binary value, change it to 0000 00 00 00 00

Enables autocomplete in MS-DOS prompt (win xp and 2000)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Command Processor

change the CompleteChar dword value to 9

Speed up the boot process a little more (win xp)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Dfrg -> BootOptimizeFunction

in the enable string, change the value to Y
    *** MAY ALREADY BE Y ***

Load windows core files into ram, speeding the system up (win xp and 2000)
    *** I RECOMMEND YOU ONLY USE THIS WITH 512 KB OF MEMORY OR MORE ***
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> Memory Management

Change the DisablePagingExecutive dword value to 1

Get rid of the arrows on the corners of shortcuts (win xp and 2000, may work with 98)
    [I recommend the use of tweakui instead, this may not work]
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> lnkfile (that's an L)

rename the IsShortcut string to AriochIsShortcut

Speed up HDD access (win xp and 2000)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> Memory Management

add the dword ContigFileAllocSize and modify the value to 512 while using decimal base
    *** MUST REBOOT AND DEFRAG TO WORK ***

Another way to speed up Win xp shutdown (win xp, duh)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control

Change the WaitToKillServiceTimeOut string value to 10000

Unload DLL's from memory, speeding up the system (not sure which operating systems work)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Explorer

create a new key called AlwaysUnloadDLL, inside the key, change the value of the default string to 1

Disabling Balloon tips (annoying yellow boxes with rounded edges, win xp)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Current Version -> Explorer -> Advanced

create an EnableBalloonTips dword and change it's value to 0

Changing the priority of the foreground application (the one that's highlighted, win 98, may work with other versions)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services->VxD -> BIOS

modify/create the dword value CPUPriority, 4 options for values

0 - Applications in the Foreground run in real-time mode. Be careful though, running applications in real time mode can cause the system to become unstable!
    1 - Foreground apps are set to run at maximum priority.
    2 - Foreground has higher priority than background.
    3 - (Default) Foreground and background are equal priority.

Disabling IE's password catching feature (win all, ie all)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERS -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Internet Settings

create/modify the DisablePasswordCatching value to 1

Make windows clear the swap file when shutting down (win xp)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> Memory Management

change the ClearPageFileAtShutdown DWORD value to 1
    *** MAY MAKE SHUTTING DOWN TAKE LONGER ***

Disabling IE autocomplete (not sure which windows versions)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Explorer -> AutoComplete

change the append completion (may be AppendCompletion) value to yes

wow, that took a long time to write, i hope you enjoy it!

16. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Well i guess i'll check it out...

17. Balbanebeoulve

I'm not sure if it would be too much, but I think if this was sticked, it could help lots of people...

Also mr_flea, thanks a lot, I'll start adding them now :).

Maybe I'll even add a new section with reg hacks...

Well thanks a lot guys.

18. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Hey B, nice job!!! That must have taken a long time to compile. You should be real proud of yourself. (pat, pat, pat) Good one.:D

19. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

Yes, it's a real nice collection of tips, tricks, tweaks, links...!
    I have also been collecting such stuff for about ten years, and when I have some more time I'll post some of it here.

20. Balbanebeoulve

Thanks for the compliment muskybob and wow...Aurelius, 10 years x.x? I didn't know what a computer was 10 years ago, hell, I could barely read :eek:

21. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Dont make the mistake a certain registry key author made, and merge loads of tweaks into registry file because yopu'll just end up confusing people and they will come to you moaning about how you ruined their computer, but all that happened was that they installed a reg patch without reading what it did first!

Oh yeah, and added to the Viruses Section, http://securityresponse.symantec.com/
    For virus info and removal tools

And also try listing RegSupreme too, as its the latest version of regcleaner ;)

Oh yeah and BTW the page is there twice.. i.e. it starts from the beginning again half way through the page :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  22. Balbanebeoulve

MajorGeeks is such a big help :D

And golfish, combining registry hacks is the weirdest idea I've ever seen, I mean what if a guy needs his registry one certain way? Crazy people, hawhaw.

I'll add the symantec section and fix that halfway thing, I must've done that last night when I was tired :eek:

Edit:// Version 5.01 is up. Some registry hacks are implemented in the guide.

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

oh yeah, and in your description tags to explain terms, make sure you add quotation marks, as currently when you hover over RAM you just get "random" which is a bit... well... random!

You could also add a link to an optimised version of mozilla, called firebird http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

And you might want to change the recomended menushowdelay to 200 not 2000 as thats a 2 second delay... :)

And maybe add a <title> tag to it too, like <title>balbanebeoulve's 110% tutorial</title>

24. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

...just a remark:
    my MenuShowDelay is set to 0 (zero) - and all animations disabled.

25. Balbanebeoulve

Thanks for the suggestions golfish and Aurelius, yeah, some people hate delay =/

Keep the comments, tips and suggestions coming guys!

Thanks again!

26. Ezaxs99

Ezaxs99 Ether Person

Re: Reg Hacks

Even if you think you did...do it again...

Back up your Registry .....Before you try the tweaks....I have been using some pretty neat stuff from speedguide and beemerworld...and so far so good...used on two machines at work and they are on dial-up...but just getting rid of some of the Windows...junk....110% improvement.....

Think I only )) accidently knocked off one of my services that I needed...but I did have my BackUp....

beemerworld has a Reg Hack Site that has quite a detailed listing of the services and what they mean and suggestions for removal....check them out...(or disable)

Good Job on the Tweaks and Links page ....I am always looking for something new and you had it!

Thanks, **0

27. Balbanebeoulve

Love the avatar Ezaxs99,

And thanks for the comments. I'll be sure to look into beemerworld :)

Keep all the suggestions coming guys, the suggestions will help improve the guide, helping everyone.

28. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Think it is time to change the whole page into smaller pages and have index-pages. If not then your visitors will get a lot of these messages (Another solution is to change to a webhost without bandwidth limit):
    There are many web-sites about Tips and Tweaks for Windows (I have one too), so if you want inspiration/input then there is already a vast library out there. The trouble is actually to limit oneself and avoid trying to cover every possible topic about Windows (I have a hard time doing that myself).

It will probably take you a month or so to get through all these sites alone(Some of the better):

http://www.winguides.com/
    http://www.pureperformance.com/
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/
    http://www.mydesktophelp.com/tips.htm
    http://www.techspot.com/guides-os.shtml
    http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/
    http://www.windows-help.net/
    http://www.jsiinc.com/
    http://www.ntfaq.com/
    http://www.petri.co.il/
    http://www.is-it-true.org/
    http://ntcanuck.com/tq/
    http://www.tweakxp.com/

29. Raider

Raider Private First Class

Here are a couple of my favorite Tweaks and I didn't see them on your site.

Open Windows Explorer To The Correct Folder. This goes back to opening My Computer instead of My Documents in XP.
    Right click on Windows Explorer, choose properties and change the target from

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

to

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove Shared Documents
    Open Regedit(Start> Run> Regedit) and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows> CurrentVersion> Explorer> My Computer> NameSpace> DelegateFolders

There will see a sub-key named {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}. By Deleting this you can remove the 'Other Files stored on This Computer' group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30. Balbanebeoulve

Well, when the weekend comes around I'll probably add like 20 more hacks at least.

But I have 3 projects due so I can't start now. Hehe, thanks for all the support guys.

31. Mocean

Mocean Guest

before you do that, I suggest you get a new webhost :-/ for the past 2 days i havent been able to view it

32. Balbanebeoulve

Grr, this isn't good x.x, I need to find a host! Well I'll try my best to get a webhost that's reliable.

I hate those Paypal stuff so I'm not going to ask for donations but I'll try getting a good host that'll allow me to keep a document online, at least.

33. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

i would offer a little space on my hosting, but the server currently isnt on the internet yet :p

you can use a bit of my isp webspace if you want.....

34. Balbanebeoulve

35. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

If you want to learn some UNIX commands and vi I can give you some webspace, but I doubt you do :p

36. Balbanebeoulve

;) , Nah it's fine. A friend is willing to mirror if mine ever goes down, BUT I doubt mine will ever go down...

Please let me know if mine ever goes down, then I'll set up one on my friends websever.

I paid him a cookie :D

37. Jungalist

Jungalist Private E-2

38. Tater

Tater Tot

Hey, that's a pretty good website. Also, thanks for those reg. tweaks Mr. Flea, I just got done printing them out.

39. Balbanebeoulve

WooowooO!

About 3 kb of text added plus many more tweaks and tips!

Check out my new and improved version on both servers!

How is it laddies? :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds