Favorite Free Firewalls?

Discussion in 'Software' started by unclematty, Oct 5, 2003.

1. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

Hey people...what are your foavorite free firewalls?

Also, why would I pay for a firewall if there are so many free ones?

Thanks guys

-------
    P4 2.4(800fsb)
    1 Gb DDR 400
    Asus Mb
    60 Gb 7200

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If you have more than one computer a firewall router for $75 is a bargain. That is why I pay for a firewall.

4. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

a good free software firewall is Zone Alarm by Zone Labs.

5. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

Now that I've tried it, I'm partial to Kerio Personal Firewall. You can get it from Major Geeks. Let's you control how much control you have and does a damn fine job. Two thumbs up from me.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Best free firewall would probably be a correctly configured OpenBSD firewall, but I have no idea how to get it up and running. My preferred firewall ATM is IPCop. Of course, not everyone has a spare PC lying around.

For Windows-based firewalls, I've always been partial to SyGate Personal Firewall. (Sorry for the CNET linkup guys, MG only links to the shareware Pro version!).

I've tried Kerio, and I got a well-known bug called "DLL hell", which is basically an unbounded number of DLL errors and alert dialogs. These alert dialogs prevent you from using Windows, of course. I decided I didn't want to use software from people who left this kind of hole and weren't calling their software "Beta".

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  7. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

da chicken: An OpenBSD 3.3 floppy, pf FAQ on another Hard Drive, and some NATing never killed anyone... Well... some people have commited suicide, but that's off topic :p

8. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

SyGate Personal Firewall

Da Chicken...does Dell's XPS system get along w/ two personal firewalls such as Sygate & Zone Alarm running at the same time? I have a firewall in my linksys router...one built into Windows XP...Norton...can you get tooooo top heavy w/ layers of protection?

9. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Yes, two reasons:

1.) They start screwing with each other, who gets to handle what first, etc.

2.) A firewall isn't security, it's just a shoddy excuse, a true firewall is a separate box conected to multiple DMZes connected to their part of their network...

10. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Firewalls

Vlad902...is the linksys router a "seperate box connected to multiple DMZes"? Define DMZes. I know it's not demiltarized zones.

You think I should leave Zone Alarm in place on my machine & not remove it for the sake of putting Sygate on?

11. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

DMZ is close to DeMilitarized Zone, that computer is "outside the firewall". All traffic in and out is allowed as if there is no firewall. Often times you want a file/game server to allow all incoming traffic. Back up this computer well as it is at risk.

I use Sygate internally behind a router/firewall. Sygate tells me what is trying to get out , the firewall keeps things from getting in (except what I bring in via download).

My hard drive on the DMZ computer is named RE-INSTALL XP for a reason.

12. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

We all use Sygate Personal Firewall, no probs;)

13. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Firewall

DOA... in your quote " My hard drive on the DMZ computer is named RE-INSTALL XP for a reason." Are you saying this particular computer has the firewall protection removed? Your term DMZ is an unprotected computer w/o a firewall?

14. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Bassicly it means a computer behind a certain DMZ can't access another behind another DMZ, so if a certain part of a network is cracked, lets say a web server, they can't access the mail server, or dekstops, etc.

And yes, a DMZ is a demilitarized Zone

15. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Ditto

16. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

I need to put a firewall on my sister in laws machine, but dont think I can explain to her how to use it.
    Is that Kerio Personal Firewall easy to understand and use?

17. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Zone Alarm free is an excellent choice. You'll need to access the internet with her browser and email to tell it to allow connections and she should be fine from there.

18. Vonnie

Vonnie Sergeant

Ok Zone Alarm it is :) I will download it when i go there next week. Thanks for the info.

20. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Agitum's Outpost

Outpost was great ( version 1), but the new version isn't free. They have a GREAT forum--great group of guys who support it for free--but the support directly from the company sucks!

Starkman

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds