Driver is enabled but has not been started.

Discussion in 'Software' started by eliphaz, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eliphaz

eliphaz Private E-2

"NO mixer device available"

XP PRO-SB LIVE

WHY?

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

did you install it in the add hardware menu? check the device manager for any ? marks. (control panel - system - hardware - device manager)

3. eliphaz

eliphaz Private E-2

Yes I did that. No matter what I do i get "no mixer device installed".

But all is good in DM no conflicts at all.

I have pulled the card. Replaced the card, tried to back to AC97 onboard.

Nothing works.

4. steveadd

steveadd Private E-2

Hi,

I found this response elsewhere, and it fixed the problem for me :)

'
    I experienced the audio problem "Driver is enabled but has not been started" on XP and also got the "Digital output in use by another application" from my onboard soundapp. This problem was due to the Plug and Play Software enumerator not running.

The solution is described at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444 and I repeat the brief version below (you need to reinstall the driver swenum.sys but first you must create a .inf file for it):

"copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to a temp dir
    remove line 20: ExcludeFromSelect=*
    add new hardware have disk (select the temp dir with the modified machine.inf) and install the plug and play software enumerator"

I also found this which may or may not be relevant:
    http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm
    '

good luck
    Steve

5. ncaroppi

ncaroppi Private E-2

Thanks guys, I tried it too and it worked perfectly.

6. dugawug

dugawug Private E-2

i'm having this issue too, XP SP2.
    i have Plug and Play Enumerator installed fine in Device Manager though...

any way for me to fix this still?

funny b/c i have a dual boot and my development OS doesn't have this problem...

7. dwd

dwd Private E-2

I have this same issue. I have XP with Creative Soundblaster live ! sound card. Device manager shows my sound card with no ?'s. It also says this device is working properly. I have the PnP emunator. I have tried all the steps from annoyances.com to reinstall it thinking it was corrupted. I deleted all my sounds in device manager. Reinstalled sound card drivers god knows how many times. Still when i go to control panel/sounds and audio devices/audio there are no playback devices. It is inevitable that i will have to reformat and reinstall just to get this fixed. :eek:

8. dugawug

dugawug Private E-2

there must be a way to get it fixed!!! it seems, to my geek novice mind, that it simply doesn't work to recognize the audio devices in ~some~ part of the normal start up process...something some advanced geek would know about.

it's the same for me, installed drivers a billion times, did the annoyances.com trick, doesn't work. i even have a dual boot of the same OS (XP pro SP2) installed at the same time, one OS it works fine and the other only has this problem!!

p.s. i've somehow found in Windows Media that I can go Tools/Devices/speakers/properties and still choose my different soundcards! so i can at least use WMP, but Flash w/ audio embedded in web pages, i'm out of luck!

9. jc-franklin

jc-franklin Private E-2

steveadd - You are a god walking among men.

I have been fighting with the enabled but not started crap for a week.

Thanks for posting that fix!!!

10. Cerebusjam

Cerebusjam Private E-2

A big Thanxs to Steveadd.......been working this problem for a month now...u got me going again...Thanxs!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds