Hanging Application

Discussion in 'Software' started by rejoyce, Oct 6, 2003.

1. rejoyce

rejoyce Private E-2

Have Windows XP Pro; Pent R CPU 4, 256 r, 1.9 GHz, Zone Alarm and Panda antivirus. Cannot install SPYBOT. Cleaned out temp filesin IE, did sfc scan now, did %temp%. Not sure what to do. Did a system restore a few times, but not sure how far back this has been happening, since it didn't work. Get hanging applications. Multiple dialog boxes to install, but nothing happens. Error check says: the tinakey service failed to start due to the following error. The system canot find the file specified' Duh.. any suggestions, please not - am not very savy, so plse go easy..:D

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

not sure what the issue is here, but if you did an SFC /Scan now, that replaces changed/modified files on your system with ones from your CD. You should note that after doing SFC, you need to reapply all service packs and patches.

3. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Only thought it was problem with Win2k before SP4. (WinXP should be doing fine)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814510

But I guess reapplying patches wouldn't hurt a bit.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sometimes you need to disable your AV program to install some programs as the AV think it maybe a virus and hang on install.

Also I'm very curious to know what the hell "TINAKEY service" is? I did a quick search with no results as yet!

5. rejoyce

rejoyce Private E-2

That 'ol hanging appl'

Don't have the foggest what a Tinakey service is - thought you would know!! All patches were automatically applied after the scf scannow.

What is an AV program , let me guess Antivirus - (I'm a novice) but if that the case, wouldn't it have stopped me from downloading, not installing???

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well it's about bloody time they fixed that :). Thanks for the update. Didn't know that.

7. rejoyce

rejoyce Private E-2

Hanging Appl...partially solved...I think!

Well, I've been experimenting....I've gone into the file and right clicked on the appl install. Rather than open(because that's only gets me to hung applic, I've clicked run what comes up is the choices of running as usual or as administrator. So I run as administrator and put in my password and no problem it opens everything. My question: I thought I am the administrator this whole while, why in these cases do I have to go the extra mile? When I installed the XP system I positively made sure I went on as administrator and when I check that is how I am listed. Why is this happening? Pardon my ignorance, I am learn as I go, which is 'slow'. :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds