Win98 multiple user help

Discussion in 'Software' started by kwyjibo, Oct 6, 2003.

1. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

Is there anyway to do either of the following in Windows 98 with multiple users enabled:

1. Give one user administrator status, allowing the user to have control over other users, like in Win 2k?

2. When the users are logging in, disable the "cancel" option that automaticaly sends the person into Windows under a default setting?

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

1. Don't think item 1 is possible but you may be able to restrict other users but one by the use of PolEdit (Policy editor). I use ITweakU Lite to restrict what other users can do.

2. The "cancel" button can be disabled by setting the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Login\MustBeValidated

to a binary value of 1. Alternatively use ITweakU Lite under Security there is an option "Force Password Entry", toggle this on - ignore the message that the computer must be on a network.

However, there are ways around such restrictions, e.g., booting into Safe Mode, etc.

3. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

Dumb question, but how do I change the registry key like you said?

Also, are there any programs like ITweakU LE that are freeware?

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Robo has given you instructions on how to open the registry editor and to modify or create a MustBeValidated key. I attach a screen snapshot of the relevant bit.

ITweakU LE and similar tools can be found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=1

Attached Files:

5. kwyjibo

kwyjibo Private E-2

Thanks guys, I can always count on this site to answer my questions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds