strange icons on desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ecin, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

I was surfing the web today, when all of a sudden I got one of those annoying popups that says "do you want to install blah blah blah, yes or no"... Well, ofcourse I clicked NO, but after I clicked NO I looked at my desktop and I has 6 or 7 strange icons on my desktop. How did these things get on my desktop? I clicked NO, and shopuld I be worried about this?

2. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

I ran ad-aware and it didn't find anything, also looked at add remove programs, and in the registry, and found nothing suspicious. Somaybe it didn't really install? What Spyware program finds things that Ad-Aware doesn't find?

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ecin yes you should be in the first instance do a system restore straight away if you have xp.IF you do not just delete the desktop items and use spy bot and Trojan remover.Then you will need to attend to your browser settings so this does not happen again.If you need any further help just post back? :)

4. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

I have system restore disabled so I can't use it. I am running XP Pro. I already deleted the icons so I can't click on them anymore.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds