Windows Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by breezer7, Oct 7, 2003.

1. breezer7

breezer7 Private E-2

I have windows XP. I got a notification I needed updates so I installed them. Now I have this annoying screensaver that says "Owner" and tells me how many email messages I have, etc. It has a picture of a chess piece on it. I am the only User so I don't need this thing at all.

I cannot figure out how to get rid of it. I went to the Screensaver choices and put in another choice, but I still get the Owner screensaver as well. HELP!!! I hate having that extra step in there to get to my desktop. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can tell me how to uninstall it! I don't even know what it's called or where to go to fix this. Thanks, Pat Adkison

2. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

go into control Panel, then go into "User Accounts".
    The option you need is in there, I believe.

3. breezer7

breezer7 Private E-2

Still no luck

I went into User Accounts but all is has is how to add a new user, how to change users, etc...not how to delete the whole @##!*$# thing!!!! I hate it when this happens. Thanks for your suggestion, tho. Pat

4. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

right click on my computer and then left click properties and then left click on theAutomatic Updates tab and untick the box that says.... Keep My Computer Up To Date then apply and ok

5. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

No, 209, it's not the Update notices he wants to get rid of, but the Messenger pop-ups.

Breezer, you just have to turn off the Messenger service to get rid of those annoying things. Here's how: Right clk My Comp, choose Manage, then double clk Services & Applications, then clk Services underneatth that. Now, in the rightside panel, scroll down to Messenger, right clk it, and choose Properties. Then on the General tab, under Service Status, clk the Stop button and wait til that's stopped, then finally clk the drop-down arrow next to Startup Type, clk Disabled, and clk Apply at the bottom. OK your way out of there, and say So Long! to that annoyance (until or unless you ever want to see it again, in which case you do all this standing on your head).

6. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

my bad ..sorry bout that. I should drink coffee first then read the post

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nobody really hit the nail on the head.

Immaculate was very close though.

breezer7 is upset about the Welcome screen on boot (It isn't a screensaver ;)).

Note: The welcome screen can also give unread email notification with your default email client of Hotmail, Outlook Express, and I believe Outlook.

--You can turn the notification off with a reghack:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304148

Now, if you want to banish the weclome screen altogether, then you can turn it off in the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel

[​IMG]

You can get there by going to User Accounts in Classic View, and click on Change the Way Users Log on And Off.

Now that doesn't make you automatically log on to your desktop at boot. It gives you a classic login, ala win2k.

To auto login:

Use the welcome screen, one user account, no password, guest account disabled (insecure as hell).

Use the classic logon, and set your account to automatically login (stil insecure as hell)

This lists how with a classic logon:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

If you are squeamish about using the registry, TweakUI can do the above for you.

I love hacking my registry, and feel confident about it, so thats why I list the steps :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2003
  8. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Nice catch, Adryn!

The rest of us were too slow to notice the damned chess piece that comes straight out of the set for users. And I just wasn't thinking about the mail messages, cuz (1) I've never let that screen show me that stuff, and (2) I don't use OE, so the thing doesn't have any idea how many messages I've got. Good thing, with all the spam I get!

9. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Adrynalyne, you don't have to do all that. I was having the same problem and finaly got rid of it very easily.

Just go to Start Menu, Control Panel, User Accounts and turn off the guest account. Turn off the "Use the Welcome Screen" like Adrynalyne said. Delete any other accounts besides the main account you use yourself.

Done.:)

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you turn off the Welcome screen, you don't automatically log in.

You have a classic login, ala Win2k.

Now, if you do what you said, and leave the Welcome screen up, then yes, you go straight to desktop.

11. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

I turned off my Welcome Screen and it logs me in automaticaly. I get a Welcome Screen but it only lasts for a few seconds and I don't have to pick a user account. Is the Welcome Screen I mentioned the windows 2000 screen you mentioned Adrynalyne?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No.

If you see the Welcome screen only for seconds, you do have it enabled. You dont have a password on your account, and you dont have any extra user accounts. So it flashes welcome only for a second or so before logging in.

I just tested to make sure.

Classic logon requires user and pass, like 2k.

Even if you enable auto login with classic, it still shows the user pass (well the mask), but greyed out, and already filled in.

Even if you dont have a password and use classic, you must still click ok, unless you enable auto login in the registry.

13. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

That makes sense. I don't have a password on my computer. :D

14. breezer7

breezer7 Private E-2

Thank you!

Thank you, Adrylalyne! You win the prize. Yes, that worked perfectly...no more Welcome Screen! TY TY TY!!!!!!! And thanks for the graphics, etc. Made it very easy!!!
    Pat

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds