RAID 0 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

I hope this is the proper forum for this question. Can you use RAID 0 across 3 disks using only 1 partition on each or do you have to use the entire disk? I am asking because I wanted to experiment and thought if I only needed to use half of each disk, then I could use the other half for backup/ fault tolerence. Also, any benefit in using Win 2000 Advanced server over prof. for this?
    Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

RAID 0 is striping, and by design, needs two hard disks.

Interesting idea you want to try, but no, I dont think its possible.

3. Tater

Tater Tot

If only 2 disks are used, then would that idea work? (striping only on partition on each drive and using the rest for backup)

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I have to ask why you would want to do this.
    The whole idea of RAID is for bigger faster drives. Partitioning the drive before the RAID setup does not make sense to me. Why not partition the drive(s) after creating the RAID?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That should read,

The whole idea of RAID 0 is for bigger faster drives.

He wants to do this as an experiment, is what I read.

6. Tater

Tater Tot

Your right, it would only be an experiment.
    @DOA, Striping has zero fault tolerance so I thought of leaving a litle space on each disk to backup only important things. Otherwise, I was mainly interested in seeing what the performance improvement would be, not the extra space.

7. ssjchris_29

ssjchris_29 Private E-2

nope, no backup or fault tolerance, if one disc in a RAID 0 array fails, than you lose all of your data. here, go to this link (http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html). it explains RAID arrays the best out of any site i've ever been to. yeah, you may beable to recover parts of it, but becuase of how RAID 0 works, you'd be pretty much screwed. RAID 5 on the other hand would work well (stripes data and mirrors it at the same time).

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes you can use 3 HDs in Raid0 format BUT a few things to note are.....

The capacity of the Raid Array will be the size of the smallest drive x3 if they are all not matched HDs in size speed.

g. 1x40gig 1x40gig 1x20gig will = a Raid0 array of +/- 60gig you loose +/- 40gig. ( the +/- is because after formatting you wont get the full drive size )

You gain 3 failure points instead of 2 when using 3 HDs.

As the others above have said a safer better bet is 2 drives in Raid0 and the 3rd on IDE as a backup, partitioning Raid Arrays is OK, however if you have data you dont want to loose its advisable not to partition to store important data!

I do have this link in favorites as its a great source of info on Raid Arrays http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

edit: I see ssjchris_29 got that link in first.... I should not chat inbetween typing ;)

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

to add, what you want to do is common, but you'll need a higher end RAID card to get the best benefit from it. Also, the current set of inexpensive EIDE RAID cards don't do what you want as far I know.

10. Tater

Tater Tot

I didn't know I'd need a separate RAID card. So, RAID 0 wouldn't work with just any 2 IDE or EIDE HD's and Win2k Pro or server? Also, thanks for the links, I'll add them to my favorites and read thru em.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I knew someone was going to post something about Software RAID. Any self respecting geek wouldn't even look once at it. If you want RAID performance like it's meant to be, then buy the proper hardware.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks for the half wit remark.

Once again, if we all READ Tater's first post, you will see it is an EXPERIMENT.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it's not the same.. if he wants to experiement and gain REAL WORLD experience in using and setting up RAID (we all know the big guys go with cards), I'd suggest completely removing the thought of using software RAID for anything.

It wasn't a half wit remark, it was a realisitc one.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I guess I look to educate people on what they can and cannot do.

There are many ways to solve a problem.

Why not let the person asking be the judge of which method they prefer.

The half wit remark I was referring to, was the self respecting comment.

And no, that wasn't realistic.

16. Raider

Raider Private First Class

I am using 2 40 GB Seagate Drives in RAID 0. I partitioned 25 GB for the OS and the other 55 GB for other things. Now I know if the array goes bad I lose it all. My thinking was if I have to reformat due to OS problems then I just reformat C: and don't lose the D: partition files, mp3's and so on (I have done this more than once and it works as long as you don't have to rebuild the array). I do have a backup of all critical data on CD and a Maxtor 20 GB Drive (so in a since I have triple protection).

As for hardware or software I consider myself to be self respecting and I have never used anything but onboard RAID. 1st on my Abit boards and now on my Asus and it suits all my needs.

You should be careful making blanket statements like that, you could alienate a lot of members.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I think I can handle myself. This is not rocket science. It's real world stuff. If you want to educate someone, then teach them the right way. There is no sense in showing something to someone that they will, in all probability, never use or in a production scenario, never think twice about.
    I don't usually say things like that unless it's just something that I think is misguiding. But whatever, because apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about.

18. Tater

Tater Tot

I'm currently taking a M$ class for my MCSA and they only covered the software way to do it so that is the only way I knew of. Didn't even know about the hardware option, so in a strange way everyone's responses here helped enlighten me. :D

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Kodo, please read this again. I do believe this was in re: to the self respect comment you made. This is what I have issue with.

Nobody is saying software is better than hardware.

Sheesh.

If Tater's class only covers software, and he is doing this for the class, seems to me he is right on track.

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

sorry you have issues. but you know I'm right.

any way, I'm surprised you're class spent a lot of time on software RAID .. I hope they spend more time on hardware RAID. You'll find it much more useful.

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thanks Kodo.

I just lost all respect for you.

I'll let this subject be, as Tater got what he needed from the thread, I believe.

I don't have time to be belittled on a message board.

22. Tater

Tater Tot

As far as I can tell, there is ZERO about hardware RAID in my class. I didn't even know it was an option. This is a M$ class so I guess they're just covering their end of it. For myself, I'd like to learn the best way to do things and Hardware is probably the way to go but I can't afford much right now. Any tips on that?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003
  23. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

@ Adryn.
    well, if you're going to do something, do it the right way or no way at all. You ask any admin if they'd use software raid and they'd tell you the same thing. "Any good admin wouldn't" I stick to my guns and if you have a problem with that, then that's fine with me.
    Just because we have a different view, don't think that I won't help you if you have a problem. I'll consider this topic said and done and move on.

24. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm completely surprised that an MS class didn't cover hardware RAID. I'm truly perplexed. The concept of RAID is universal regardless of hardware or software. But the hardware RAID uses a RAID controller.

If I find some good links, I'll post em. been busy here today so I may not be back for a while.

25. Tater

Tater Tot

OK, thanks for the responses everyone.

26. Raider

Raider Private First Class

So, your way is the only way?

What real world person needs hardware RAID at home? I have only been doing this for six years, but I guess I don't know anything.

And Adrynalyne was correct. By making your statement about self respect you are implying that I or anyone else who uses software RAID has no self respect. That is what I took issue with. It is very telling and why I have now lost respect for you.

27. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

perhaps I should have used admin.. apparantly "geek" (used in context with the site) was too much for you guys to take. this is a message board, if you don't like what I have to say then I really don't care, there is more to life than the internet. I'm here to help people. I take it seriously. I like to provide the best approach that I can find to a solution.

If this particular person is going the route that he his going with MS certifications, then software RAID is something that he'll probably never run into. I've never seen software RAID in a full on production system... never.

My way is not the only way, but in this case it is the proper way. there's a signifcant difference.

Software RAID is a waste of time. in the realm of home use, 80.00 will get you hardware RAID with less overhead and less probability of software issues. Rebuiding the array is also safe.

This would be like me telling someone to write a website in CGI over PHP or ASP.NET.. why bother.

If you guys really have a problem with what I said, then perhaps it's you who really read into things too much instead of taking things for face value. sorry you got bur up your butts.

28. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Actually I'm suprised that the class hasnt approached Hardware RAID as well, maybe thats for a later subject?

Personally I would only use hardware Raid ( but thats my choice, mainly after talking to the techs in work from IBM and Fujitsu ) but if your Mobo or you dont want to buy a Raid card then it maybe fun to try out Software Raid as an experiment before making the leap to Hardware Raid.

A great page from DELL of Software Raid and the +'s and -'s of it.

a small snippet from the page........

29. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks for the link Halo, hope I didn't stir up a hornets nest here.

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Only insults stir up hornet nests Tater, you didn't do a thing.

31. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I love a good hack!
    But you guys did not get personal enough! ;)

I asked a friend who is taking an MS course and his instructor said hardware RAID is transparent to the software other than a driver and so is not covered.
    I have been buying all hardware RAID mb's for years now. RAID will give you an edge in games and generally speed up your system. I always run RAID 0. So far IDE RAID reliability has been lower than standard IDE drives. My SCSI RAID from Advansys has been VERY reliable.

I used software RAID on my Mac for a year, well worth the effort in speed and stability. But for the PC I go with the hardware RAID on the MB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds