any way to avoid microsoft...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thing, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

two computers running windows 98 se with all upgrades and all software\hardware up to date, each with two ethernet pci cards, one on each computer connects to the internet (independent conections but same provider, its like having two connections) the other card on each computer connects to the other computer.

can anyone explain me how tcp/ip works here... internet connections use ddcph(something like this) and the local computers use 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 my question is... how is comunication done, if i try to msdos ping 10.0.0.2 wont it ping using the internet pci card\connection? if i play half-life and go to console and write "connect 10.0.0.2" how does windows know what connection to use? and can't there be another computer in the internet connection with that ip...

is there anyway to trade files between the computers and maybe even browse the other computer without using windows (netbios i think) i mean, now if i want to access the other all i have to do is go to "network neighborhood"... but maybe if i didn't select "i want to share my files and printers" i would and to worry about "network neighborhood", because that when i select that option to share files and bla bla bla windows asks for the cd-rom and installs lots of things! protocols and whatever, maybe if i didn't install them i would be a lot safer and not with so many problems... a application that would send files to the ip that is say (this is related to the first question) for example ussing DCC or any other filesharing application if i download anything from the other computer it would use the internet connection and not the network connection...

all i want is to be able to access the other computer files and play lan games... do i really have to use microsoft network options like "share files"...

also... having a cable connection connected to a ethernet card will make me have to install "network neighborhood" and all those messy microsoft things ?

thanks

farewell

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Wow, you have a laundry list there.

To start with:

"if i try to msdos ping 10.0.0.2 wont it ping using the internet pci card\connection? if i play half-life and go to console and write "connect 10.0.0.2" how does windows know what connection to use? and can't there be another computer in the internet connection with that ip..."

---Yes, if you ping that address, the request will look for a connection out of the computer, which will be your NIC.

--Windows *prioritizes* which connection it uses to find an IP. In Windows XP, this can be tweaked. I am not sure how to on Windows 9x.

--There are a lot of computers with 10.x.x.x addresses.

The important thing to know here is that address is not routable across the internet. It is reserved for internal use.

Same as 192.168.x.x, 172.x.x.x, 127.x.x.x (loopback), and 169.254.x.x <-- that one is MS only I think.

The list above is best to memory.

--You don't have to use netbios to share files with IPX/SPX, IIRC.
    However, some games require TCP/IP, but you can disable netbios (in XP, not sure how in 98).

--Unfortunately, networking in 98 by default on install does not install many of the protocols, clients and services needed to network. Thats what it installs when it asks for the CD. It isnt like XP that already has everything installed.

Someone else is going to have to finish the rest of your questions ;)

3. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Oddly enough we have just dealt with a similar issue. Person I need to speak to won't be available till I get to work . 0930ish UK time. Will post then. In the meantime.....I'm sure someone else will:)

4. Thing

Thing Guest

hello
    thanks

but... when i install my cable internet connection wich is connected to the first pci ethernet card, windows will install tcp/ip... what about netbios? will it install "network neighborhood"? is there any other way to share the files...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds