Windows\Temp Folder...safe to delete

Discussion in 'Software' started by reesa, Oct 10, 2003.

1. reesa

reesa Private E-2

You have probably heard this asked before but is it safe to delete everything in the Windows\Temp folder. Mine is up to 145 mb. I have Windows 98 SE. I read not to delete anything created today but otherwise is it safe to delete? If so how do I go about it...

Open C:\Windows\Temp and then select all and delete? (all but new files)

How about C:\temp? is that safe to delete contents as well?

2. Maize

Maize Private E-2

usually.....

Temp folders are used to store files that are needed by a program after a reboot is done. You know the message "You must reboot your system in order for the install to finish" well that is why. It has put files in the temp folder that are going to run when a reboot happens. So if you have installed something and have rebooted then after that it's safe to clear the temp folders, both C:\temp and C:\Windows\Temp. And yes just go into those specific folder and click Edit -> Select All and then Delete.

It's a good idea to clean them regularly, much like Temp Internet Files.

3. reesa

reesa Private E-2

Thank You, I'm gonna try it now. Thanks Again!

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

It's a better idea to define your temp folder in Autoexec.bat, including command lines that delete its contents on startup. That way Windows\Temp folder will also remain empty.
    In my Autoexec.bat the following lines do the trick (but first you must create folder C:\Tempfile):

set temp=c:\tempfile
    set tmp=c:\tempfile
    cd \tempfile
    attrib -r -h -s
    echo y | del *.* > nul
    echo.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

That's where you run into problems that Maize mentioned. You install a program, the system wants to reboot, upon startup those files to finish the setup are gone.......problems.

6. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

I never have such problems because the command that deletes the contents of my Tempfile folder is "del" and not "deltree"!
    Program installation put its files into a subfolder it creates inside Tempfile folder. Those folders I delete manually, say a week later. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds