can this be done

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Integer, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Integer

Integer Private E-2

I am considering getting rid of norton but before I do. I want to know how I can I close most of my ports without the use of a firewall. Could a script be made or something of that nature that would block all my ports but 5 or 7 which is all I want to be available at the most.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Ports are always closed unless a specific application is listeneing to them. The problem is that certain Windows services listen to specific ports, and there's no real way to turn them off.

3. Integer

Integer Private E-2

I saw at neowin that some person had configured their PC to only use some 5 ports. My problem is no one at the forums at neowin seems to know how he did this or just isnt saying.

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It is possible to do that. It's pretty easy easy too. There are a few programs that will open and close ports by editing windows files. Which means if you close a port it will stay closed even if you delete the program.

Of course the thing is you don't want to run a PC with only 5 ports unless you are limiting employees and stuff. Most people want messenger to work and e-mail to work and webpages and secure webpages and maybe remote desktop connections and a few others.

5. Integer

Integer Private E-2

I dont want any of the services that U mention and I have them all disabled and the programs are deleted I just want more control of my ports without the use of a firewall. I have norton 2003 pro for all that stuf but its so large and I really dont thik much of it to be honest. Maybe some suggestion on securing my ports and whatever my first question (I didnt read it before posting) would be great.

6. Ricko0

Ricko0 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds