Zipping Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Misslemike, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

Hi Geeks, I am trying to zip some Jpegs and other files using either winrar or winzip but every time I zip the file it is only 1% smaller and the ratio says 1%. How do I increase my zipping size. This happens even when I choose Maximum compression. Is this standard with the Eval Versions? Thanks

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

This is because a JPEG is a binary, and it's hard to compress them, if it's text there are tons of patterns, mostly words, You must use "and" alot so that saves alot of space, and you must use "WHATEVER" alot so that saves space too, but with a binary there is little repetition, the best compression would be just too remoev some quailty :/

3. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

What about exe files? It seems to do the same thing and I would think that it would not. But any suggestions on sending 5 MB exe files?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try WinRAR its pretty good with compression, better than ZIP files anyway!

5. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I agree with Halo. Winrar does tend to compress much better than zips. Making them .exe's would just make them larger I'm afraid. :(

6. DinoRoberts

DinoRoberts Private E-2

winrar is great great great, and I'll have to try this infranview.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds