Blank Desktop? No Icons or taskbar

Discussion in 'Software' started by Puddy7, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

When I start my PC it loads up my desktop wallpaper but it won't show any icons or the taskbar at the bottom off the screen.

The only way I can load something up is if I do a ctrl alt del then click on file and run...

It was playing up this morning so I rebooted. Norton Auto Protect automatically picked up and deleted some viruses just after this and since then All I get is my blank desktop.

I've got into Norton and managed found out what viruses it found. Norton says it has quarantined and removed them all.

They were: Suspicious.mystic, backdoor.tidserve, Downloader.harnig!gen1 & the other is just listed as Trogan horse.

Everytime I reboot now I just get the blank screen. Tried Safe mode and again blank screen. Only way to access anything is to do a ctr alt del and access it from the run prompt.

Can anyone help me at all???

Oh and I'm running Window xp home edition service pack 2

2. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

Oh and I've just re run Norton Virus checker again and it's picked up nothing

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hi there forget about what Norton has told you, not saying that Norton is not working properly, but i think you need to click this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=208809 and follow all instructions, then post into the malware forum with all the required logs, these guys will sort you out, but after following all the instructions please be patient as they do get busy, also when posting tell them what you where doing when this started !

Good Luck Rusty ! ;)

4. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

Thanks Rusty, I'll have a go at that now.

5. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

Followed the instructions so far but now come to a grinding holt!

I've got to the Enable viewing of hidden files, system files and file extensions part but I can't do it the way it says on the link

# Right Click Start.
    # Select Explore
    # Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    # Select the View Tab.
    # Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Because I can't access Start as it's not there. I've tried going into control panel and then clicking on folder options, but folder option will not open???

Is there any other way I can access this do you know???

6. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

I've Found a way to do this now

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It would help if you'd post how you did this. You will be helping others with the same problem who might read this thread.

8. Puddy7

Puddy7 Private E-2

Hi

I will do once I've solved the problem. Still working on it at them moment.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds