Can't access Vista anymore.

Discussion in 'Software' started by hrlow2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Working on lining out my neighbors Dell machine.
    Inspirion 531S
    AMD CPU
    !GB RAM
    Vista Home Basic

Removed 7 useless items from the Startup list.
    MalwareBytes found and removed 274 tracking and adware items.
    SuperAntiSpyware found and removed 75 more.
    Both required a reboot to finalize removal.
    Used AbsoluteUninstaller to remove :
    ALot toolbar
    Ask toolbar
    BearShare toolbar
    Google toolbar.
    Rebooted. Then the fun starts.
    Administrator password which had been successful only minutes earlier is now invalid.
    Cannot get into Safe Mode.
    Starts to look like it.(black screen and showing that items are loading).
    Then it's straight to Windows welcome screen with user(the Admin) account and Guest account.
    Try the password again and still invalid.
    Have tried Ophvcrack and it said "No password found", but still cannot get anywhere.
    Have tried just clicking OK without typing any password.No go.
    Tried 12345 (someone had told me that was the default password for Vista) No help either.
    Any other directions I can turn?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Which ones exactly? If you can remember it would be best to describe which ones.
    Ideally you should attach these logs so we can see what was removed.

I know it's not in any way an answer to your problems, but it would be worth describing what you removed in start up and attaching those logs as a starting point.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The default password for Administrator on all versions of Windows since XP, including those from Dell is left blank.

It sounds like it may have been a malware affecting something like the wininit.exe.

If it were my only machine, I'd make a parallel install of Vista to access the user data, but go ahead and get the logs and list the removed startups as Kestrel suggests, hopefully there'll be some clues there.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Unfortunately, cannot get to those 2 logs.
    Only account available is the guest,which cannot start or enter the programs. Keeps kicking up a box saying that an Administrator password is needed. The ones I removed from the startup was the toolbars mentioned and Roxio player (I think it was a player) and an iTunes downloader.
    Do have the MalwareBytes log. Forgot I had sent it to my thumbdrive for my records.
    Here it is,at least.
    View attachment mbam-log-2010-08-16 (13-14-06).txt

This was saved before the reboot.

5. Kestrel13!

Then again, if he can't log into the troubled PC he won't be finding logs to attach :(

edit: great!

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

That, or boot to a live disk, Ubuntu or Mint, etc...might be easier/safer in the long run...

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to satrow
    Don't have a Vista disc.
    Only have an OEM of XP Home.

8. Kestrel13!

Hmm, just a bunch of MWS adware and a trojan.. not seeing anything there that could have rendered the system inacessible. You have the SAS log too? (doubt it as you would have said)

Said no action taken with the mbam log, just outta interest did you indeed remove them?

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Look again at post 4.
    Stated that was before the finalizing mandatory reboot.
    And did not transfer SAS log.:cry:-o

10. Kestrel13!

Well good luck in resolving this for your friend.

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Wait, so the guest account is working perfectly fine aside from its usual limitations and not taking the admin password? How about Safe Mode, is that working?

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Mimsy Look 1/2 way down in post 1.
    Safe Mode has been tried.

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have also removed the CMOS battery for 15 minutes to no avail.

14. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Ugh. My bad. I blame the new shiny... I'm checking MGs while cleaning and oiling the blade, and it has me a bit side-tracked at times.

Have you tried this? Note that I have never tried it on Vista, only on XP. Also, when this one goes wrong it goes very wrong and breaks file systems, since it gives you the option to access all sorts of powerful registry settings. Read the FAQ and walkthrough and use at own risk, if you decide to try it out.

15. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, again - if you're going to use that utility, you'll have to burn it as an image from which to boot, so why not burn a Linux image while you're at it? Then you can grab all of the friend's data that needs to be saved, before this thing becomes a boat anchor...

;)

16. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Ladies and Gentlemen.
    With your suggestions I have regained control of this Dell.
    NTPASSWD couldn't do it. Said SAM was not loaded.
    Trinity was able to get me to where I could go on as an Administrator (without a password) and remove the other user accounts password.
    Upon switching users to the troublesome one, found it to be well behaved now.
    Will be holding on to the Trinity disk I had burned.
    Many thanks to all responses and assistance.
    Will be updating and running new scans later and will post if allowed for review.What was already found were with 6 month old definitions.

18. joel2224

joel2224 Private E-2

I found the Trinity Rescue program, downloaded it and wrote it to a CD in the Joliet standard as a data CD. I restarted the computer with the DVD drive containing the CD as the first boot device and I can hear the drive reading the CD but then it goes to Windows. Is there an obvious mistake I'm making?

19. joel2224

joel2224 Private E-2

Nevermind, I found out how to burn an ISO image.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds