MajorGeeks Support Forums

Go Back   MajorGeeks Support Forums > ----------= PC, Desktop and Laptop Support =---------- > Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Casino Mark Forums Read

Software Software such as operating systems like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 etc., or specific programs.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-10, 17:58
watchntv's Avatar
watchntv watchntv is offline
I can't follow the rules
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 749
Thanks: 51
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default starting over format the harddrive

I was told that I should sometimes redo my computer and make it new again
get a recovery disk from the manufacturer
move all the files I want to a disk
then pop in the recovery disk and about a day later computer is back up

I have a Compaq presiario
SR 1000T


is this right?
I dont have MS word, 97, the one I like, will it be restored? or do I need to find the disk?
what about my internet bookmarks? How Do I save those?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 08-21-10, 18:10
itmortiz's Avatar
itmortiz itmortiz is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Posts: 242
Thanks: 10
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: starting over format the harddrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchntv View Post
I have a Compaq presiario SR 1000T

MS word, 97

what about my internet bookmarks?

How Do I save those?
Guessing you have XP, and that museum piece (excuses, computer j/k) restore disks generally doesn't come with any office product even Office 97, i guess you will have to found the disk.


Yes, you need to save your IE Bookmarks, into IE just clic in File > Import and Export > Bookmarks and then save the file in a secure place.

Hope it helps, cheers.
__________________
█▓▒Professional Ofimatic Technician█
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-10, 18:52
watchntv's Avatar
watchntv watchntv is offline
I can't follow the rules
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 749
Thanks: 51
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: starting over format the harddrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itmortiz View Post
Guessing you have XP, and that museum piece (excuses, computer j/k) restore disks generally doesn't come with any office product even Office 97, i guess you will have to found the disk.


Yes, you need to save your IE Bookmarks, into IE just clic in File > Import and Export > Bookmarks and then save the file in a secure place.

Hope it helps, cheers.
you are so mean
thats what the compaq dude told me also, that my computer is so old, I am screwed
they dont make recovery disks
I have the MS office, I found it

so what do I do for a new computer
I dont think I need one,. yet
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-10, 19:24
plastidust plastidust is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 836
Thanks: 73
Thanked 237 Times in 217 Posts
Default Re: starting over format the harddrive

You may be able to create your own recovery discs. This HP Support document explains how.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-10, 20:17
pwillener's Avatar
pwillener pwillener is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,621
Thanks: 17
Thanked 271 Times in 243 Posts
Default Re: starting over format the harddrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchntv View Post
I was told that I should sometimes redo my computer and make it new again
That was true at the time of Windows 9x, but since Windows 2000 I have never found a reason to "redo" my system(s).

If you keep it clean of "crap" (CCleaner) and malware, defrag your partition(s) a couple of times a year, I really don't see any need to reinstall Windows and all applications.

All my computers run as fast as on their first day, some even better due to the fine-tuning done over the years.

P.S. all my computers are also very old (Windows 2000 and XP), but I have no need to get anything newer soon...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6  
Old 08-21-10, 20:51
watchntv's Avatar
watchntv watchntv is offline
I can't follow the rules
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 749
Thanks: 51
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: starting over format the harddrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillener View Post
That was true at the time of Windows 9x, but since Windows 2000 I have never found a reason to "redo" my system(s).

If you keep it clean of "crap" (CCleaner) and malware, defrag your partition(s) a couple of times a year, I really don't see any need to reinstall Windows and all applications.

All my computers run as fast as on their first day, some even better due to the fine-tuning done over the years.

P.S. all my computers are also very old (Windows 2000 and XP), but I have no need to get anything newer soon...
I actually gave a link to the "Malware" thread
so this guy could see why I never complained about a thing

my only complaint about my computer in the last year or so was recent, when I came back from being gone 2 weeks and had unplugged my computer and I had to plug it back in and let "charge" before it would stay on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
16:9 widescreen format V.S. 4:3 format - monitors bocaj Hardware 6 10-21-09 15:41
HardDrive converted to Non-DOS format by Virus TreasureDiver7 Software 2 12-11-08 18:28
harddrive disappeared a couple hours after format scoobydoo1952 Hardware 1 02-09-07 13:00
Converting .rms format video to a DVD format. Yaaqob1154 Software 5 06-30-05 13:29
Windows not starting- possible harddrive issue? Huey P Hardware 4 12-03-04 01:22


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

MajorGeeks.Com \ All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ NEW! PC Games \ System Tools \ Macintosh \ Demonews.Com \ Top Downloads

MajorGeeks.Com \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds


All content Copyright MajorGeeks.com source code Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright © 2009 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Ad Management by RedTyger