Mozilla 1.4.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Oct 12, 2003.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

I've been runnning Mozilla version 1.6a Build :ID 2003101104

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi jujet84 i have never heard of that build?Just goes to show you learn something new every day :)

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, 1.4.x is the current stable tree. 1.5 and 1.6 are testing/unstable. Businesses should use 1.4 or 1.4.1 for that reason. That's why Linux distros came with 1.1 for so long... it was the latest stable release.

At the moment, I'd recommend home users use Firebird and Thunderbird instead of Mozilla. Mozilla is extremely bloated ATM.

5. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Lucky that you have the binaries, I had to compile it on an OpenBSD system with no binaries for it, I had to set my ./configure options, $CFLAGS, $CXXFLAGS, etc., etc. The firebird binary when FINALLY compiled (I thin even if you set something off it still compiles just not in the gmake install, may be wrong, Mozilla engine is pretty damn big :)) corrupted it's own libraries... Not pretty... but when I got it set-up it looked so much better then lynx :D

6. hellwaker

hellwaker Private E-2

Hi geeks,
    I'm confuse???,
    Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla, what's the different???

[​IMG]

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Mozilla is an application suite. It has a web browser (based on the Gecko engine), an email client, and a newsreader. The administration of Mozilla wasn't done very well, and the result is bloated, poor interface, and great difficulty improving the existing code.

Mozilla Firebird is a different interface to the same HTML rendering engine (Gecko). However, Firebird uses a better (XML-based) method of describing the UI, so that it is very easy to add or remove plugins and whatnot. Firebird also separates the email client from the browser. The email client is now known as Mozilla Thunderbird. Firebird and Thunderbird also have a much more strict guideline on how code gets intoduced. The result is a much better OSS model.

The Mozilla tree is still being developed because that's where the rendering engine is promarily being developed. However, eventually Mozilla will be dropped in favor of the Firebird tree, and the two browsers will be integrated. This was supposed to happen by Mozilla 1.5, but currently there is no deadline.

Mozilla 1.4.1 is the current stable release of Mozilla. Mozilla 1.5 RC2 is the current development release version of Mozilla. Mozilla Firebird is at version 0.6.1, and Thunderbird is at 0.2. The "nightly builds" are higher versions. Nightly Firebird for Windows is 0.7 ATM.

I expect Mozilla to fall by the wayside within a year.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  8. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

You should try installing Gentoo. XFree86 took my 1.6GHz P4 a day to compile. Firebird was nothin'.

9. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Yeah, but you gentoo users asked for it :D Latest Mozilla port for 3.3-release is 0.9.9! Gonna have to upgrade to Snapshot for the newer software :))

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds