Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,349 Posts
Re: TDSSkiller - How to run
- Please download TDSSKiller to your desktop.
- See the download links under this icon:
- Save tdsskiller.zip to your desktop.
- Then extract TDSSKiller.exe onto your desktop.
- Double-click TDSSKiller.exe to open the program. ( If using Vista or Windows 7 do not double click on it but rather, right click and select Run As Administrartor. )
- The Open File - Security Warning window should appear.
- Press the Run button and TDSSKiller should open.
- Some rootkits will prevent TDSSKiller from opening.
- If this is the case for you, skip TDSSKiller for now and continue with the rest of the steps of the Malware Removal Guide.
- Here is what TDSSKiller looks like upon successful launch.
- Click the Start scan button.
- Be patient as TDSSKiller scans your system for rootkit activity.
- Depending on whether TDSSKiller found anything or not, you will most likely see one of the following types of screens below when the scan is finished.
Example #1: No threats found
Example #2: Threats detected
- VERY IMPORTANT: In the event that threats are detected, allow TDSSKiller to perform the default action by simply pressing the Continue button.
- Do NOT change the default action on your own unless instructed by a malware helper! Doing so may render your computer unbootable.
- If threats were detected, TDSSKiller will require a reboot in order to attempt to clean the system.
- Press the Reboot computer button.
- With more difficult versions of this rootkit, you may see a black background (ie., no desktop ) with only the below windows showing. Simply press the Run button and TDSSKiller should open itself again and your desktop should reappear.
- Now go to the root of your C: drive and find the TDSSKiller log(s).
- They are named like this: TDSSKiller.126.96.36.199_14.08.2012_23.08.46_log.txt
- Keep this text file handy in case you are still experiencing problems and need to create your own thread in our Malware Removal forum.
- If you are still having trouble, remember to attach this text file once you are finished with the remaining procedures. (See: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post )