BSOD on boot....Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by jools1976, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Hey folks. I've got a Dell Inspiron 9400 running Vista Home Premium that was giving me an error stating "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt of missing" after the post screen (and obviously not booting). I ran startup repair through the Windows diagnostic utility, and now I just get a bluescreen whenever I try to boot. I know it's a little vague, but does anybody have any ideas? I tried Last Known Good Configuration and I've also tried Safe Mode. Neither work. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have your Vista CD? Can you boot to the recovery console ( Recovery Environment in Vista )?

If you can, then:
    1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

3. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I have a Vista disc, but for whatever reason it won't boot. Not quite sure why... This may be a dumb question, but can I use the recovery console feature in an XP disc (The repair option prior to installation)? I've used it to work on Win 2000 in the past with success. Just a thought...

4. TimW

Different commands between XP and Vista.

5. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Gotcha. Alright so I need to get this DVD to boot then.

6. TimW

Have you changed your bios to the cd-rom as first boot device?

7. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Yup. There's also a boot menu you can access right after the post. Still not working, tried it on another laptop too but got the same thing.

8. TimW

9. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Tried the recovery disc as well, sorry I should have mentioned that. It tells me that "startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

10. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Ok here we go.... I just tried my recovery disc again and found the command promt option. Sorry, must have been asleep before. Entered the bootrec.exe command and got four options, /FixMbr,/FixBoot, /ScanOS, and RebuildBcd. Which one am I interested in here?

11. TimW

Try fixboot.

12. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Tried the fixboot command, it said "completed successfully", but now when I try to boot I just get a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen. Tried startup repair again after that, same thing. What about writing a new MBR?

13. TimW

Yes, you could try that next. ;)

14. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Tried fixmbr.... still nothing.

15. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Just an update. Tried rolling the machine back using system restore, still won't boot. As I said in my earlier post, I tried fixmbr, but got nothing. Could I rewrite the MBR completely, and if so, how do I go about it? When I run bootrec /rebuildbcd it tells me there are 0 total identified Windows installations. Thanks.

16. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

17. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

At the command "ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old" it states "The system cannot find the file specified". Also, I booted into parted magic, and it shows the entire 160 GB of the HDD as unallocated, yet, all the files and documents are still available. Weird.

18. satrow

So your BCD file is missing? Continue with the next step, bootrec /rebuildbcd. What response do you see?

19. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

I get this:

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
    Total identified Windows installations: 0
    This operation completed successfully.

20. satrow

That sounds like really bad news, lemme re-read the thread and think about this.

21. satrow

Can you give us some details on what Parted Magic tells you about the drive/partitions/files?

I think the drive should have 3-5 (maybe 6!) partitions, assuming it's the original drive and depending on the original OS and which Recovery method it was cloned with.

Have you tried TestDisk?

22. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Parted Magic is showing one partition of 149.05 GB (the HDD is 160 GB) when I check it with the partition editor, which it has labelled as "Unallocated" for both the partition and the file system. When I go to "My Documents" on the PM desktop, it shows all my files and data (and lets me access them) under the OS folder. However, when I use the command prompt through Windows RE it gives me two partitions, C: which contains the OS etc. and D: as well, which is labelled "Recovery". It is definately the original drive, and I haven' tried test disk, but I have run CHKDSK /R through the command prompt.

23. satrow

Those stats certainly suggest it's the original disk. Have you got all your data backed up from it? If TestDisk doesn't give us some clues as to what's going on, I'm pretty much stumped on what happened here.

Had you previously made a repair or clean install from a non-Dell disc or used any partition tools?

24. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Nope, the only stuff I've done to it was through startup repair in Windows RE and the command prompt through Windows RE. What I did it detailed at the very start of the thread. I've downloaded testdisk, does it run through the GUI or will it boot without a working Windows installation?

25. satrow

Ok, TestDisk I've only used remotely ;) under XP, I think.
    Providing you have downloaded the correct binaries.

TestDisk Step by Step

26. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

Problem solved. Ran Testdisk through a terminal in Parted Magic and it works fine now. The problem was that the wrong partition was desigated at the bootable partition. How this happened... I'm not sure. I designated the OS partition as 'Primary, bootable', and all other partitions as 'Logical', and now it boots fine. Outstanding work Satrow and others! Thanks.

27. satrow

That's a relief to all of us :)

I'm pleased you got to fix it, I'll have to carry a copy of TestDisk, it seems to be pretty good!

Hmm, thinking a little, there may be knock-on issues with the Dell recovery or testing partitions not working now, a trip to the Dell forums is called for, I think, checkout exactly how they were cloned. Get a good backup now, in case you can't access the other (bootable) partitions later to diagnose or reinstall.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds