Is It Bad To Run A USB Cable Next To A Power Cord?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Oct 17, 2010.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I'm trying to tidy up some space in my workstation because I just added a new 2TB external hard drive enclosure. & well I would like the cables connected to the enclosure to be as neat as possible. So I got some split loom [eg: empty plastic flex pipe], and put the usb and power cord cables for the hdd enclosure in the split loom. Both the usb and power cables have copper ferrite beads but only on the ends that connect to the enclosure itself. The ends of the cables that connect to the pc usb, or power outlet do not have copper ferrite beads. My understanding is that copper ferrite beads keep interference out. But than what's the purpose of having it only on one end of each cord? I guess it makes sense because most people don't really put their cables in split loom, so both cables would normally be apart from each other. But anyways here's the question I'd like to ask:

I'd like to know if I will experience a considerable amount of interference or possibly data corruption by keeping both the usb and power cord connected to my hdd enclosure through split loom?

They're laying side by side in the split loom which is why I worry...

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No, it should make no difference. Cables are often bundled and are not prone to cause interference. ;)

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is it "bad"? No, not in the sense that it might cause any harm - as long as the USB cable is not damaged. But, if damaged, and the ground or "shielding" is damaged, it is possible stray "eddy currents" from alternating current (AC) running through a power cord could be induced into the USB cable. This too is not likely to cause damage, but it could, in theory anyway, create interference and cause corruption of the data flow through the USB cable.

For power cables that carry high voltage house (120 - 240VAC) current, I try to bundle them and run them up one side of my desk. For all other cables, such as those using power blocks, thus carrying considerably lower AC, or DC voltages, I run them up the other side of my desk.

In any event, regardless the cables, it is not good to lay cables out in perfectly parallel lines for any distance as that is where these flux lines, magnetic induction, is likely to occur. In this case, messy is good. So, just as in twisted pair cables, have them twisted and crossing over each other all along the way as this cancels out any EMI - electromagnetic interference.

4. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the input. I'll have to run them separately than...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds