Win2K Pro and XP Home Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g1lgam3sh, Oct 28, 2003.

1. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

We have an issue. We had a burglary and my bosses laptop was stolen. We all run Win2K Pro SP4 but his new laptop runs XP Home, (no choice I'm afraid). We have an A3 Printer, (HP 1100C) attached locally to the base PC. We are having difficulties with him printing to it across the network. He has drivers loaded, no problems with LAN access but...no printing. Any ideas gratefully received:)

2. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

I'm guessing here and not network savvy, but has a printer port been captured from your boss's laptop to the network printer? At work, using Win2K Pro, we use Novell network for the printer queues for the capture and there's an option to check to capture the port when starting windows. I assume on the base PC, print sharing is allowed since other PCs can print - would there be any difference/compatibility since the laptop is XP - would that matter?

3. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

That's my best guess so far, I'll try your ports idea. Thanks:)

4. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

*bump*

Gilgamesh - did the printing problem ever get resolved?

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

6. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

@Ken3

Not immediately, however, main issue now resolved to my satisfaction. Had our CEO and CFO over from Chicago this week.

Have clearance to source(build) a server and 'test' Linux against Server 2003, (MIS choice). Only had Win 2K peer to peer up to now.

UK can now run independently from US (MIS), you can bet that I'll be begging for help here as always:D

There's always more than way to skin a cat ...or solve a computer problem ;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds