Servers . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnick, Oct 30, 2003.

1. jnick

jnick Private E-2

All right,

Since me and my dad built 2 new rigs, we're thinking of turning one of our old Dells (2.0GHz) into a server (Gaming, FTP).

Is this possible? I mean we're not into gaming enough to spend $300+ a month for a server, so we wanted to build one. I've already had a CS server on MY computer. First a listenserver (non-dedicated). When me, my dad, my uncle, my cousin, and my brother-in-law would play with bots, it was fine. When I ran a dedicated server on MY computer, it was so-so. I owuld get pings of about 100 when about 8 people were in.

We have both computers hooked up into the router. (We're not using the WAN port, just Slot 1, Slot 2, and LAN). We have cable, and overall a good connection.

Now I would just hook up the computer, through an OS on it, and the games, but have a few questions:

- Would I have to buy ANOTHER Battlfield, or CS to run a server with it because of the CD Key?

- If I just slapped it on the router, wouldn't it RUIN my dad's, and my connection . . . Ping wise? Wouldn't slow everything down?

- Would I need an OS, or a server program, or both?

- Could I host an FTP server this way?

I open to any suggestions you have. I'm sort of a newb to this, but would really like to have a pretty decent server going.

Thanks,

Jnick

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Would I have to buy ANOTHER Battlfield, or CS to run a server with it because of the CD Key?
    yes.

- If I just slapped it on the router, wouldn't it RUIN my dad's, and my connection . . . Ping wise? Wouldn't slow everything down?
    Depending on your connection speed. For adsl and cable.. most likely
    - Would I need an OS, or a server program, or both?
    both
    - Could I host an FTP server this way?
    yes

3. jnick

jnick Private E-2

Is there a way to make a server where it doesn't affect our connection?

To do this, we'd have to get another IP address from Cable . . . right?

And do you have any suggestions as far as a Server Program?

Thanks for all of your help.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Is there a way to make a server where it doesn't affect our connection?

To do this, we'd have to get another IP address from Cable . . . right?
    yes there is a way, but having another IP is not it. You'll another connection completely or a super high speed line. It really depends on how much data you're transferring from the game server. Cable is ASYNCHRONOUS which means that it sends data waits for the send to be complete and then recieves data but it does it very fast. Your ADSL line is the same way. If you get a high speed line like an SDSL line which is synchronous which means it sends and recieves data at the same time, then you'll have less lag. Or you can opt for your T1 lines which cost mucho dinero

And do you have any suggestions as far as a Server Program?
    you can run pretty much any windows OS. WinXP would be your best bet. Just clean up the services and slap a butt load of RAM and a fast CPU in there and you're all set. Linux will work just as well, if not better provided you have a game that supports linux.

5. jnick

jnick Private E-2

I have Cable, not DSL ;).

I think I'll give it a shot. It shouldn't be horrible lag. . . will it?

Thanks again,

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it will interfere with both your speed and the servers speed. I would start out at small player numbers, like 10 and then make your decsions from there.

7. Dane

Dane Private E-2

I have tried a few FTP programs and I have a few I like, Bulletproof FTP server, very simple and easy to use, another is GuildFTPd, a lot of options, but still easy to use and its freeware. There are other more professionel software, but they all cost money and these two should be more then enough for personal use.

http://www.bpftpserver.com
    http://www.guildftpd.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds