Will not POST when USB mouse or keyboard is plugged in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tom66, Dec 25, 2010.

1. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

I have an Abit KN9 motherboard, and a USB keyboard and mouse. The computer will not POST with the keyboard or mouse plugged in, but they can be used (and they are fully functional) if you plug them in later, after POST. On the POST side of things, it hangs when it shows the installed processor, and goes no further - pressing DEL to go to setup will not work. I've tried disabling legacy USB support as recommended by others, but can't find the option anywhere in the BIOS. It will boot with a PS/2 keyboard or mouse. I haven't tried other USB devices yet.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm no expert on BIOS so I'm just asking simple things. Are you using the rear USB ports that would be advised.

I'm curious as a test if you go to Integrated Peripherals then change fom USB keyboard support via OS to USB keyboard support via BIOS, will it POST? (I would test without a mouse connected just to eliminate one device)

3. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Rear and front show same problems.

I tried the OS/BIOS thing already; no difference. One thing I have not eliminated yet is the mouse itself being faulty; I have a spare USB mouse I will try, but running a burn-in memory test right now to check some new installed memory and timings

Thanks for your suggestions.

4. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Bump, any tips or ways to go about fixing this?

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    In your BIOS under "Integrated Peripherals" you should see "On chip USB". There are two options for both USB keyboard and USB mouse, BIOS and OS. Whichever is shown, try the other and see if it helps your boot problem.

6. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

I've tried all four binary combinations and to no avail. It does this when you press TAB. If the mouse is plugged in it is not possible to use DEL. Caps lock can still be toggled on and off.

Code:
    Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Copyright (C) 1984-2003, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor
    Memory Testing : 2097152K OK

Press DEL to enter SETUP, ESC to Enter Boot Menu.
    06/15/2006-NF-MCP55-6A61JA1AC-12

Maybe this information is useful to someone.

7. sach2

Does it boot with a ps/2 keyboard and a USB mouse attached?

If in BIOS you go to PnP/PCI Configurations. Where it says *IRQ Resources....Press Enter. Are there any USB choices listed? [I see an option for "Assign IRQ for USB devices" option in a straight Phoenix BIOS but don't see that option in the K9 version of that BIOS. I'm just wondering if that option is under IRQ resources. IRQ resources might be much more technical data that is useless to me. I just want to see if the buried that assign for USB option]

8. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

That's my current configuration - won't boot with a PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Under the IRQ resources menu, I can only choose between "PCI device" and "reserved". I had to change the resources controlled by field from Auto (ESCD) to Manual to get access to IRQ resources.

I don't know if this is useful to someone - but sometimes, and only sometimes when it fails to boot it shows memory testing: 1024 K OK (1 MB) instead of the full 2 GB. It could be unrelated. I know the memory is good - I tested it in a loop for 3 hours using memtestx86+ and no problems showed.

9. sach2

I was thinking that maybe it was halting on no keyboard error but that would not be the case if it halts with the ps/2 keyboard and mouse.

That resources section seems like a dead-end.

The 1024k is probably the bios chip memory amount.

I can't find anyone having a similar problem. One thread had someone who had miswired his front USB ports and it was causing a problem with all the USB ports but that shouldn't be limited to BIOS.

I'll keep thinking about it. Yours does look like an early version of the BIOS but I don't see any fixes for USB in subsequent releases. Are you sure that board is Kn9 and not Kn9 SLI or kn9 Ultra? I can't match the original Bios date of 6/15/2006 with the kn9. But I do see a6/15/2006 date for the kn9 SLI.

Everest or SIW might give you exact motherboard name.

10. sach2

Use SIW or Everest to determine your processor model as well. There are a few BIOS updates related to USB for specific processors for specific kn9 boards.

11. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

The board is KN9 Ultra. It has a single PCI express x16 slot, three smaller PCI express slots and two legacy PCI slot.

I don't yet have Windows on it, so I can't install any programs. The processor is "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor". That is all I know. It has a massive copper heatsink and fan on it.

12. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

AAAAAAAhhhh I think I solved the problem!!!

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...E_ON_SCREEN=KN9+Ultra&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket AM2

BIOS: kn913.zip

Bios Issue Date:2006/07/13
    Mirror Site: ASIA Europe US
    BIOS ID:13
    1. Fixed the issue that the system sometimes hangs on POST. code 50 when install the FX62 with USB device.
    2. Fixed the issue that the system performance may drop off when install a PCI device.
    3. BIOS compiled date: 07/13/2006

These solve BOTH my problems, one with PCI legacy being slow and the other with USB halting POST. I will have to install them later. Is there any way I can screw up the system by installing them wrong? I don't want to be left with a paperweight.

13. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    It is possible to brick a computer with a bad BIOS flash. That is why it is only recommended when absolutely necessary. If you do decide to flash the BIOS, you should probably use the

latest on the ABIT site. For the ultra the last BIOS id was 23 but the last one with a KN9 file name was BIOS id 22. I downloaded the BIOS zip file and it does not have a Windows flash

utility, so you will have to do it with a bootable floppy or CD. Here is a site with DOS bootable CD

iso images. If you have a floppy drive you can get floppy images here. If you use the CD image, you will have to download the iso and then use an iso

manager like poweriso to add your BIOS files then burn it. I would recommend that you put all of the files on the root of the CD drive. Then run the bat file as directed in the readme file.

From the bat file:

14. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Yeah I feared bricking it. Worst case the BIOS can be removed, I suppose I can buy a replacement. Anyway, I'll give it a go later, when I get my 500 GB SATA HDD, and install Win7 + Ubuntu.

15. sach2

If you have a floppy I would use that to flash the BIOS. And as tgell recommended use the version kn922 files.

If you have to use a CD then this ISO should work if you aren't familiar with building your own. I put the kn922bios on it. Burn it as an image file to a blank CD using imgburn or similar burning software. Boot from it and run the runme.bat file. [I put no autoexec or config.sys file on that ISO]

16. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Thanks! I'll try that and report back.

17. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Yay it worked! Thanks very much for that. It POSTs successfully with a USB mouse and keyboard plugged in. I'm not sure if PCI performance has improved because the computer has no OS yet, but it looks good anyway. :)

Also the update added some extra features to the BIOS. It now lets me adjust the second system fan speed. I'd like this PC to be quiet, so I'm turning it down a bit.

18. sach2

So it was a quirky BIOS version that was causing the trouble. I'm glad there was a fix for it.

Good work!

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Very nice troubleshooting tom66. I did not expect you to be able to use a USB mouse and keyboard the way things were looking.

20. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

I don't know why it wouldn't be supported. It seems so strange that it would only affect the FX-62. I have an FX-58 (I think?) motherboard here, a single core variant, which will become my new media PC (replacing the aging Scaleo E.) These computers are given to me because they are too old, but they have more than adequate performance to do cool stuff, the single core should easily be able to play 1080p and most basic games, the dual core is going to be rigged up as a high performance gaming machine. So given the PCs were free I think it's worth getting them working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds