Weird Mobo layout!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by item.man, Nov 1, 2003.

1. item.man

item.man Private E-2

these days really make me wonder about all the things that i feel are wrong in motherboard layout!

first of all, heat rises, shouldnt the CPU be on the bottom of the mobo to gather the colder of air inside the case?

secondly, there are some really awesome looking gfx cards on the market, why do we only see the bottom of them?!

finally random access memory is placed too close to most CPUs so it soaks up exhaust heat from the heatsink!

2. trailmaster

trailmaster Private E-2

well i tell ya,...

ok just a basic thing to keep in mind about the layout and the components....remember that ol cpu you were talking about..?...well you know it has to process every bit of data from everything on the mobo....cards...RAM....drives.....so if it was wayyyyy down at the bottom it would require a lot of long pathways around a whole lot of parts to get to anything at the top...and youll notice the conductive parts of the pc board arent exactly an inch wide.....
    hey i might not know everything but i do know plenty enough to keep myself out of trouble....hehheh

3. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If you have delt with riser cards you know this is a step backwards. Just another connection to go wrong.

The Mac G4 had a good idea, but it was not perfect. Air came in the back through a duct to the processor heatsink. Below it was the RAM and it had vent holes behind them. More vent holes by the PCI cards.
    With a 80 mm fan feeding the CPU and a 120 mm pulling out and exhausting down the left side you get fresh air directly to the CPU, cards and RAM. Setting the case in a corner does not work, but my desk has a slot next to the wall for cables. The hot air goes down the slot. I have a 50% over clock on it with air cooling. It does blow some HOT air, but is reasonably quiet.

I gave up on PC cooling with air. The PC layout is just bad. Water works well and is becoming mainstream.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds