Weird happenings

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

It seems that if I try to view any type of video -- Foxnews, Breitbart, Youtube, etc. -- the unit spontaneously reboots. This does not happen anywhere else but the messages I get in the event viewer are as follows:
    Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    Event ID: 529
    Date: 12/27/2010
    Time: 1:07:53 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: JIM-HOME
    Description:
    Logon Failure:
    Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
    User Name: Ray
    Domain: JIM-HOME
    Logon Type: 2
    Logon Process: Advapi
    Authentication Package: Negotiate
    Workstation Name: JIM-HOME

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Event Category: Account Logon
    Event ID: 680
    Time: 1:07:53 AM
    Description:
    Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
    Logon account: Ray
    Source Workstation: JIM-HOME
    Error Code: 0xC000006A

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Event Category: Logon/Logoff
    Event ID: 529
    Time: 1:07:52 AM
    Description:
    Logon Failure:
    Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
    User Name: Ray
    Domain: JIM-HOME
    Logon Type: 2
    Logon Process: Advapi
    Authentication Package: Negotiate
    Workstation Name: JIM-HOME

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Category: Account Logon
    Event ID: 680
    Time: 1:07:52 AM
    Description:
    Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
    Logon account: Ray
    Source Workstation: JIM-HOME
    Error Code: 0xC000006A

The Help and support pages at MS do not seem to have any info on this. The best I can get out of what they have there is that there is a problem with a logon which may be coming from a remote source; but it offers no advice as to how to find out if this is the problem. I don't think I have a bug but that is always possible these days. Hence the reason I posted here. I suspect that I may have a setting problem which is causing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, J

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Currently moved to the Software Forum which is more logical at this point unless you have some reason why you posted in the Malware Forum to start??

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I am running sp3 in XP Home Edition. The links provided state that these were fixed in the service packs. Is it possible to have sp3 and not have sp2 installed?

When I go to the Control Panel and select Add/Remove programs I see sp3 in the list but not sp2. Should it be listed there?

If not, do I have to unload sp3 before I attempt to load sp2?

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you unload XPSP3, you may not be able to update on=line,-I would use the May edition of Autopatcher
    http://majorgeeks.com/AutoPatcher_XP_Full_d4901.html
    This will update many files, and much more, if you want.
    There was an August update to this, that you could try afterwards, but as far as I know, later versions are now a pay for version- but this one sould give you all yo need.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I should add the reason for my saying this is that I believe Microsoft will only allow updates for XPSP3 , so if your cd was XPsp1, or, XPSp2, then you might have difficulty re-updating to XPSp3.:cry

7. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Tried that. Didn't work.

The worst part is that I don't know what I'm doing and I'm perfectly comfortable admitting that.

The page I am trying to view is here: http://www.breitbart.tv/atlantas-first-white-christmas-since-1862/

As soon as I click on the play arrow the unit reboots spontaneously. Anyone else want to try clicking on that link and trying to play the video? Process of elimination, and all that, you know.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

You have to download, then run the package, tick the little boxes as it runs, accepting the liscence eulas, and then it scans your system, and offers updates- you can run it several times, after restarting each time, and it will update your system.
    If you click on the + sighs you will see what it offers.
    Have you got automatic update on ?- if not go to security options and turn it on.
    If you have not got ,Net 2, or, 3 installed in your list, that could also help, as so much nowadays need these .Net 's to run.
    You can download them and save them to your hard drive, then open and run them.
    I will comw back with some links, and a bit more.:wave

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If it is not listed in your updates, then start with .Net 1.1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3

You will need the installer update first

Dot Net 2-- download the WindowsInstaller-KB884016-v2-x86.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Then download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-B259-4733-A914-A956122E08E8&displaylang=en

Then download .net 3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043

Also, I would like to know which XP disc you have
    Is it XP WITH SP1, OR XP WITH XP2, OR, IS IT XPSP3
    Or, have you a seperate disc for updating to XP3, OR, WAS xp3 a downloaded update ?
    Just helps us to know exactly what you have.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to jimpeel

link worked and video played for me.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Ditto

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Those event log warnings may just be a coincidence see HERE (earlier posted by Baklogic), did you change this setting and check the event logs as the issue maybe something else.

What Browser are you using?
    Is your Adobe Flash Player and Sun Java Runtime upto date?
    What are your security applications, please name all? and to test disable them all too see if they are the cause, could also boot into Safe Mode (F8 and choose Safe Mode with networking).

Some steps on uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Java

Java
    Goto Add/Remove and uninstall any and all versions found of Java then run JavaRA, then run CCLeaner and its Cleaner and Registry tools as listed above, then re-install lates Java Runtime from HERE

Then reboot and test[/QUOTE]

As you have XP SP3 and ist a rollup package so all updates from SP1 > SP2 are included, so only ones missing are likely any post SP3, so do a Windows Update scan to check.

13. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

baklogic:
    So I run it, and then reboot the system and run it again? Does it rescan the unit and then select what needs to be updated? Do I do this until there are no suggested updates?
    It is on and active.
    According to Control panel Add/Remove Programs I have:
    .net,
    .net hotfix 1.0,
    .net 2.0 sp2,
    .net 3.0 sp2,
    .net 3.5 sp1, and
    .net 4 Client Profile.
    I don't have any disks. The unit came with XP on it. My F-I-L bought a legal copy online and installed it on this unit. He passed away in February so I don't know from where he purchased it.

SP3 was a downloaded update.

The unit came originally equipped with Vista and he had a dual OS installed by the local computer store. I can select either XP or Vista at startup if I choose. Both OS's run well. This problem with spontaneous rebooting of the system only started within the past few days.

Could it be that my video driver is causing this problem?

hrlow2 and Baklogic:

Thanks for trying that link.

DavidGP:
    Those event log warnings may just be a coincidence see HERE(earlier posted by Baklogic), did you change this setting and check the event logs as the issue maybe something else.
    I tried to turn off the auditing but gpedit.msc was unable to be found.
    What Browser are you using?
    Mozilla Firefox 3.6.13.
    Is your Adobe Flash Player and Sun Java Runtime upto date?
    I don't know. I will do that now.
    What are your security applications, please name all? and to test disable them all too see if they are the cause, could also boot into Safe Mode (F8 and choose Safe Mode with networking).
    I have Avira as my only antivirus program. I also use CCleaner, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware. There are supposed to be no known negative interactions between any of these programs. I also use RegScrubXP and Defraggler for cleaning up the drives.

I also will unload and reload the programs for which you gave me instructions.

I will also run update but I believe everything is up to date as of yesterday.

14. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

By the by, I tried the video link using IE with the same result. The unit spontaneously rebooted as soon as I clicked on the video play button.

15. pattyandme

pattyandme Private E-2

its an adobe shockwave video try updating that from adobe?
    or reinstalling it?

16. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I went by the steps, step by step, and the thing still does the same thing.

However, it is now worse. It is rebooting every few minutes without my doing anything. Right from the desktop.

I was sitting here and I had not done anything. I had not opened any programs or applications.

It rebooted on its own. So, I thought, "Did this thing just reboot when the screen saver came on?"

So I right clicked in the desktop and went to Properties. I then clicked on the screen saver tab and "Poof" away it went. This is repeatable.

So this time I started the unit in the "Disable reboot on system failure" mode. As I write this, offline with Wordpad, I am doing a save after every sentence as this thing is rebooting all by itself every few minutes.

So this time when it erped, it gave me the message:

Stop 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbd210d7c, 0xb2d6987c, 0x00000000)

nva_disp.dll-address bd210d7c base at bd012000, datestamp 4bb7e5d1

It also had a bunch of instructions like checking for adequate disk space (There is plenty), disabling the driver or installing new or updated drivers (I did that but it did nothing to solve the problem), changing video adapters (Don't know how to do that), bios updates (the last time I did that the computer had to be sent back to the manufacturer), disabling the bios memory options like caching or shadowing (don't know how to do that either).

17. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Could this be caused by heating of the processor? The timing is so regular.

18. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Okay. I disabled the Nvidia driver and the video link played. The video driver I'm using right now sucks. I will try to roll back the Nvidia driver to a former state and see what that does.

Wish me luck.

19. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

problem solved

20. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Thanks to all who helped. Apparently it was the Nvidia driver that was causing the problem all along. At least I now have shiny new updates for the Adobe players and Java.

Thanks again.

J

21. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jim

Cheers for the update and the fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds