Vista users listed twice at login screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm working on a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. At the login screen, the users are listed twice, and the Administrator account is also listed twice. The admin account is usually hidden on Vista PCs (it shows up when booting in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode usually), so it's weird that it shows up at all, never mind that it's listed twice. There's only one user account, and it's listed twice. It doesn't matter which one I click on, they both log in to the same desktop, same settings, etc. So- I have two problems here:
    1) how do I get it to only list the single user once?
    2) how do I re-hide the Administrator account?

THANKS!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Not sure about the twice listed user account, but to hide the Admin account:

* First you'll need to open a command prompt in administrator mode by right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator"
    * Now type the following command:
    net user administrator /active:no

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

;) Thanks! It's a start. Now to figure out how to get rid of the user listed twice.... weird. I ran some malware scans and (of course) they were clean.....

4. TimW

Can I assume that if you go to start / explore that there are not two profiles?

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm not sure what you mean by "go to Start/Explore", but in C:\Users there is only the user name folder (the user name is "Dennis" to help clarify things), and a "Public" folder. So I'm assuming that there is just the single profile "Dennis", and it is being listed twice at login for some strange reason.

6. TimW

Not a clue. Only thing that jumps to mind is whether there is a domain log in associated with one of the user accounts.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I found the solution, errrrr..... at least I found the cause of the problem, the solution is pending...

A bit of creative Googling found this link where the exact same problem is described on the exact same brand of laptop (Fujitsu) running the exact same software (OmniPass Fingerprint Security). There seems to be a bug with the OmniPass software and a Windows update. The OP software runs fine until a certain (unknown) update is installed (this seems to only apply to Vista). After that update is installed, OmniPass goes stupid and doubles up all users at the login screen. Since my client actually uses this software, I have to locate the installer for it, presumeably at the Fujitsu download page, then uninstall/reinstall. That should do it!! I'll post my results in case anyone has this same issue in the future....

* [dlb] crosses fingers, kneels, prays *

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook A-Series, model A6020. All downloads for all Fujitsu notebooks and tablet PCs (including the OmniPass software), can be found at this link. Just use the menus to find the model of PC, and the downloads will be listed.

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As it turns out, the OmniPass download at the Fujitsu USA site is a "patch only". So I uninstalled and can't use the "patch only" to re-install. :banghead But I found the full version at the Fujitsu Asia site (downloads for the A6020: http://www.pc-ap.fujitsu.com/support/drv_lb_vista_a6020.html). So I think I'm all set....

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Nope.... :cry :banghead The download of OmniPass simply will not install. It says it's not compatible with the version of Windows installed. I downloaded it from the Vista section, and it simply won't install!!!! Time for many beers, I think. :drink

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Oh yeah..... uninstalling the OmniPass software did indeed get rid of the doubled user listing at login. But now I can't re-install it!!!!

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is that fingerprint reader a hardware gizmo on the Fujitsu? Maybe you need a motherboard driver before you can re-install the software.

All I can find is an updated fingerprint driver.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  13. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, it's built in to the PC. I've already uninstalled & re-installed the fingerprint driver along with most of the other system drivers (ACPI, System Extension, System Utilities, etc) and still no dice. The fingerprint reader requires two bits of software to function: it needs the driver (which installs w/o a hitch), and it needs the OmniPass utility. It's just weird that the Fujitsu US site only has a "patch update" for the OminPass software, and the one listed at the Fujitsu Asia site doesn't say if it's an update or the full version, which leads me to believe that it's the full version, but it says it isn't compatible with the OS that's installed. :confused I've tried the XP version, and both the 32bit and 64bit versions, and none of 'em will install. The owner of the PC supposedly has the factory driver CD, so that should solve the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds