speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thing, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Thing

Thing Guest

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

which version of windows please ?

3. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

duh!

windows 98 se

bye

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm sorry, there many versions of windows..
    3, 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP, 2003 server

I have left my ESP at home.
    So, I'm not sure if you're "duh'ing" the fact that you forgot to add your os or the fact that I should have known this?

in any case, you need to check the properties of the cards in the device manager and check that the media type is set to the speed of your network.

5. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

kodo, calm down. It has the connotation of him "duh" ing himself. Please don't burn people like that. He's in a rush and didn't think about what he was saying.

6. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

hehe thats true... always posting the same info, i forget... hehe

but no problem, sorry.

there are no options in the device manager, there are options if i select the card in the "network" control panel... "link sped/duplex mode" tried with auto and full 100, and its slow.

bye

7. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

i still have the problem
    can anyone help me?
    thanks

bye

8. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

If you have networked them with a crossover cable, your MAX network speed will be 10Mb (megaBITS), (or, 1.25 MB (megaBYTES)).
    If you have a hub or switch (regular CAT5 cable used), then, max speed is 100Mb, or, 12.5MB.

And often, you wont reach the peak bandwidth anyway.

So, you really dont have a problem, unless I've missed something.

9. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

okay... strange how computer to computer connections with 100MBs ethernet cards are slower than router connections.

bye

10. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

protocols!? they are all tcp\ip...
    difrent hardware
    but how can a connection from one computer to other with no other hardware be faster than a connection that has to go from the computer to a hub and from a hub to the other computer?

bye

11. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

A direct connection between 2 computers need crossover cable, its a regular ethernet cable with 2 more wires in it. Data can still only go one way. I dont know the nitty gritty, but in order ot prevent too many data collisions, the speed is limited to 10Mb. With a switch, the data goes to the switch, which then delegates when the data is sent out. This way, there are far less data collisions, allowing safe operation up to 100Mbit.

12. Thing

Thing Guest

hello

okay, thank you for telling me.

bye

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds