Is this a legitimate program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bowks, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bowks

bowks Private First Class

:confusedIts called PC Speed Up by Speedchecker Ltd.

http://www.pcspeedup.com/

Its supposed to speed up your PC. Does a free check, but costs $29.00 (special price) to repair.

I'm just not sure about it.

Thanks

Gail:confused

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

ts legit but not needed, stay here and you can read stickys in malware section do scans there,then post logs and wait for a cleaning. If not malware then software/hardware. No need to pay for stuff out there"theres no magical program/site that will make all computers for free. This has been told/spoken in other threads.. and we all agree why waste money? All you'' get it more problems and issues then come back here for help in the end! There program/site will say 1,000 errors yet you click fix(not knowning) and restart then you'll computer wont start due to issues you just caused from that site.. IMO stay away and browse here..

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned, while this app and others like it are legit, to be honest many applications will list registry entries as causing your PC to be slow and in most cases this is a read herring, a bit like some malware scanning apps think cookies are bad.

An app like this could list after a scan say your PC being only 40% efficient and after a payment and cleanup your 100% efficient, but I would bet that your PC wouldnt feel or work any better.

Best to stick to a guide like this Basic computer maintenance everyone should do

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's no indication I could find that it's legit, all I see is a clean, new site with no reputation anywhere.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I could see none that it wasnt, however with digging the company lists an address which is always a good start and its a real address.

While that speedup app is new the same company has this as their orginal internet startup http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and that while I dont like the "as seen on" items without a direct link, I did search the BBC tech site and indeed they do have a mention on the BBC HERE and HERE (or at least a mention and a link), and knowing the BBC they will have checked this company out as well as they do list as a Microsoft Partner HERE

But I still stick by my original post that you dont need these types of applications Gail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds