Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 is ready

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tgell, Feb 10, 2011.

1. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good heads up tgell,

I did mooch around my MSDN/Technet account over last weekend, but nada then, but good to see a posted date now.

I would be tempted to suggest that if you are thinking of installing it (oh this is for anyone who reads this) is to wait a few days before installing it, and wait to see if there are any glaring issues with a specific setup (hardware or software) before installing.

Also I tend to prefer (if you have a good broadband connection) to grab the full download from the Windows Download Centre as the full version I feel personally installs smoother,

Again before install do run a quick antivirus check as Service Packs will halt if they smell malware, once you are ok and malware free disable your AV and security apps before installing, as this just cuts one thing out of the mix that could block a sucessful install.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'll wait for a couple of weeks as usual, see if someone blows up first!:-D Really, I haven't been burned by any MS update, it's really incredible how all that works with the number of vendours they have to deal with!:)

4. DavidGP

Me too Augie, actually its rare that I have to reinstall an OS or have any major issues of BSODs (unless I've been messing around with services or GP, but do that in a VM now).

I do have to say that the version of SP1 I'm running now is perfect and as I said in another thread I have not had to (quite a few other testers and MVPs) have not had to file any bug reports on this SP, its pretty rock solid and I will let you all know how it goes on the 16th, as will be doing 5 PCs that day of various types (desktop, laptops and a netbook).

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

:duck
    You must not have that Tuesday morning update setup. I thought after one that took out 90% of my network and was not uninstallable, I had cured everyone of the update bug. November's bad Outlook update had me going for a few hours until i found the update issue. It really is a love/hate relationship.

They do have a very complicated world to deal with, but an Outlook update? That gets them a few jabs from me. Just tell me i have to switch back to Mac again and I'll run and hide my PC though. My current rule is to update on mondays.

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Excellent advice on each point! :) I have always done this ever since I started using XP in the dim past. I had an issue with the first service pack that would have been avoided had I followed this policy.

7. DavidGP

Hi Folks as an update as I said I would....

I have installed Windows 7 SP1 on two PCs now, a Netbook and a Desktop, both installs went flawlessly for me, not to say that with the apps that other have installed of the version (loosely mention version!!) then it should go ok.

I did use the full network install of the 32bit and 64bit SP1, they come in at 903mb for the 64bit version and 537mb for the 32bit version (leaving the ia64 version out as not many using that in home use, but its 511mb in size)

I would definatly do a quick malware scan before installing, but the standalone installer works well, simple instructions to get you on your way, but I would allow 1hr to install this as that was the average I noted, you will have a few reboot as this is normal.

The Windows Update version I have not tested as even I dont get access to that until the day everyone else will off the WU server, but I do still hold that the network version while a larger download, is the better route to installing a major service pack.

I would be tempted to suggest as I have already earlier in the tread to disable your security apps, especially Spybot and your AntiVirus app, although I did not as I forgot with my netbook that has Avast Free on it, and all went ok (Avast was version 5).

8. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

I'm curious of the improvements that it will have. Windows 7 has had no issues for me. :)

9. DavidGP

Hi

No major improvements but what would you be looking for as Service Packs have generally been stability or security updates only and not a speed thing, however the kernel has some improvements so speed in some hardware scenarios could have an increase,

As I mentioned earlier and in other threads on Win7 and SP1, the SP1 update is stable and many I have spoken too that are Windows Experts have not had issue with SP1 and think its stable and a worthwhile update, to an already stable and worthy successor to XP.

I sadly dont have a changelog as one is not available as yet, it will be on the 22nd of Feb as that is general release, but the MSDN/Technet as well as VL releases to corps dont have a changelog.

BUT what your looking at is from my personal views of the RC and the RTM of SP1 are:

1. Update to Federated Services
    2. HDMI support is better
    3. Previous Folders had an issue that is corrected
    4. AVX support, been missing for 256bit instructions
    5. IPSec update
    6. Other things that I have not listed.. see changelog when released

Some info HERE on update and removal of old SP saved files.

I could say that its not needed but I do believe that its worth installing all Service Packs to take advantage of the updates, even if they are minor to some, the main issues for many come in SP updates is in using hooky versions of Windows, the core components are hacked to bits to make it pass Auth, so an SP install may bugger the hooky version up, if you dont have those copies then you should be fine, with caveats in the earlier posts of mine of backup and disable AVs.

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

MS has posted downloadable documentation for SP1 for Win7 and Server 2008; deployment guides, lists of updates and hotfixes included the service pack, release notes, etc... available directly from Microsoft using this link.

I couldn't agree more. Whenever I install any service pack (SP2 for Vista, SP3 for outdated XP systems), I ALWAYS use the standalone offline installers. Any other way (meaning: online via Windows Update) has always been unreliable, prone to problems, and simply a big-time PITA.

(and thanks for the 'heads up' on the release date for SP1 - I've been wondering when it was coming - after hearing a lot rumors, it's nice to see something 'in stone')

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

12. DavidGP

13. Caliban

Everything looks good now - thx, David.

I bet when the news of the release started spreading, the MS servers got slammed.

I still think I'll hold off for a while before upgrading - could be wrong, but I've got a sneaky feeling that MS might have to modify the SP1. Win7 is just too complex for the testers to have come up with all of the real-world situations that are out here.

Could be wrong, but all of my Win7 machines (personal and clients') are humming without any problems, so they ain't broke, and I ain't fixin' them - at least not yet. ;)

14. DavidGP

Yeah its normal for the servers to be slammed with mainly users going for the full network download, as many companies dont have MSDN or VL licences so they need this one to push out to all their PCs to save the bandwidth of WU doing this, then you get the rollout of WU updates, this tends to be staggered over a few weeks/months so not everyone will get this straight away via WU.

I agree Windows 7 RTM is stable as hell, so you think dont fix whats not broken, so in a corporate enviroment I would tend to say... well wait a bit and let the dust settle till April sometime and then take a new look at updating, I would though seriously look at updaing as its a good stability update and whiel it only adds a bit of performance its welcome.

Home users I would update for the very fact of security updates and fixes, but do malware scan your PC first and disable your AV before updating. Had one report of the latest Norton version flagging a temp file in the softwaredistribution folder as malware straight after an update to Win7 SP1, dunno if this was co-incidence or a later virus def file from Symantec has ruled this out but its worth watching for AV miss reports of mawlare straight after an udpate.

If you have a non kosher version of Windows 7 then well your on your own as I have no idea what issues updating will cause, so if SP1 causes your PC to fail, then thats on your own doing and best to get retail version of Windows for best stability.

Well dunno on that as many that I know in the MVP and Techbeta test programs are from large corporates and they all have had no major issues, to report and we have been at this SP1 beta/RC etc for a while testing in real world scenarios, cannot ever test all scenarios so if you are in a corporate world then use your test PCs to check out your dedicated software for stability and issues with Win7 SP1 before a rollout fully, or do a staggered rollout.

15. Caliban

I'm already seeing reports of problems in other forums. For example:

I'll post a link if anyone wants it, but I don't think it's necessary.

These could well be isolated cases - in the above the issue is very likely stemming from W7 being layered over a Vista installation.

Just a head's up.

16. DavidGP

Hi Caliban

I dont want to see the case in point, but I will and no opinions on the user who posted that issue, but in many cases if a system file is faulting its generally due to the OS being changed from default.

Personally I wouldnt go for the ISO as in some cases Microsoft ISOs need buring at a really slow speed, I would always urge grabbing the .exe versions.

But as we all know sadly its not going to go smoothly for all, it really in alot of cases depends on what 3rd party apps have been installed, any update no matter what software company issues it should work 100% of the time, but you'd be kidding yourself if you really believed that as nothing produced be it software or hardware is 100% foolproof.

I any watching for trends though and not seen much in the way of any AVs causing issues apart from a colleagues PC, which quarantined it, so cheers for the heads up as its good to notice a pattern as it will help in the software forum with similar issues cropping up over the coming months,

17. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

Not a major problem, but just noticed that since installing SP1 on Win7 Home Premium 64bit, that all my previous System Restore points have been removed.
    There is now just the one prior to installation.

dave

18. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Some additional info on W7 SP1.

What you need to know about Windows 7 SP1
    The address of this issue is http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/110224

Scroll down for article.

Bazza

===

19. DavidGP

Thats the thing Bazza, that Services Packs dont always bring anything new to the "game", well they do but most or a vast % is under the skin and not a GUI type thing.

Although that article brings nothing new to in additional info that is not already in the changelog files dlb posted earlier, but then again most news/tech websites follow the same stories anyhow, so duplication is always inevitable, but I did post the major changes in W7 SP1 6 days before Windows Secrets did in post #9 ....wow those guys are slow ;)

Have you installed it Bazza (I know we have another thread already in software on W7 SP1 so not going to move this one) and if so did it go ok or not, and if not what issues? me just curious.

20. bigbazza

The Windows Secrets newsletter is published on-line, once a week (Thursday's) so it can be not as up-to-date as a personal post.

As for W7 SP1, I've just finished a second attempt. Both crashed. :(
    I think it is because my laptop was a behind in updates, before trying SP1.

I was hoping SP1 would bring me up-to-date without the necessity of doing some uodates before attempting SP1. Didn't work, damn. :cry

I ran the Hotfix update for SP1, but that didn't appear to help either.
    I am just about to load the older updates and try again.

Bazza

===

21. DavidGP

Well thats a poor excuse that its published only on a Thursday, they can post every day on that site the newsletter is by the by! ;) ;)

Mmm yeah being behind in updates could caue an issue as can the startup apps you are running, mainly security ones, so worth disabling those.

But do check that you have this update as its the pre-requisite HERE but also download and install the network version of Windows 7 SP1 as it tends IMHO to be less troublesome than the WU one.

Also you never ran the SP1 Blocker Tool did you?

22. bigbazza

Thanks David for your ongoing suggestions. :major

• As for Windows Secrets newsletter, I have it set for weekly only email, to me

• I did disable Avast, and did not have Comodo firewall open when attempting the SP1 update. Should I uninstall Avast first, or is disabling it good enough?

• As for Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit, I did not run it as I do not automatically run Updates via WU.
    • I also only used the SP1 download via the MG reference link at http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_7_and_Windows_Server_2008_R2_Service_Pack_1_KB976932_d6514.html
    I am assuming this was the correct one to use.

• I have loaded all updates before attempting SP1 update again.
    • Belarc Advisor tells me all updates are current, except I did not use the WU version of SP1 shown as "outstanding".

I'll have another go at SP1 install after your opinion on the above reply of mine. Thanks again.

Bazza

===

23. DavidGP

Hi Bazza

In reality you shouldnt need to disbale security apps. but its a god thing to do to rule out any issues as security apps do block many areas of the of from harm, so whiel a pita to do indeed I would uninstall Comodo FW and Avast and then install the network SP1 version you linked too.

Do note any errors etc

24. bigbazza

Thanks David.
    Will do, tomorrow.
    11pm here right now.;)

Bazza

===

25. bigbazza

Still trying all sorts of fixes. Still crashing.:cry I will post further later.

Only error message of significance is;
    "Failure configuring SP1. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer"

Thanks MS for a really informative error explanation, I don't think.rolleyes
    I've googled it, and will track through the links again.

Bazza

26. bigbazza

Another error code I am getting:
    Error: ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE (0x80070643)

in my attempt to install windows 7 SP1

I've tried every variation of this error message, as a Google Search, and cannot find any relevant link. I would really appreciate any MG member who can find a relevant, specific, link to this error on Google, or other Search engine, and post a reply back.

I've tried different options in Advanced Search, including time limit (one month), English only, and still I get nowhere. :cry

Getting really p*ssed off with my attempts to install W7 SP1.

Bazza

27. Caliban

Hey, Baz...

Let us look at your machine. If you would, please use Free PC Audit, because this program shows a lot more running process and update info than some of the other system info tools. Be advised: the report will display your IP address and product key - edit if you wish.

28. bigbazza

Hi Caliban. :major

I hope this is what you want.:)

Bazza

Attached Files:

29. bigbazza

Forgot to mention, no Firewall or AV for the moment as I have un-installed both, hoping I soon would have been able to install SP1

I have downloaded new versions of both, ready to go.

Bazza

30. Caliban

I was hoping something obvious would jump at me from the report, but I don't see anything. Maybe someone else's better eyes and/or brain will spot something.

You know, you might be better served to start a Software thread for this - techies that cruise through might not look in the Lounge, and somebody might key on those error messages.

I know what I would do: back everything up, have critical WUpdates on hand as stand-alones (or slipstream if possible), reinstall Windows and required updates, and install SP1. But that's me. ;)

31. bigbazza

Thanks Caliban for your efforts. :major
    I did ask for this thread to be moved to the Software Forum, and it was moved for 1 day. Then it was moved back here again.

I've done a hell of a lot of suggestions from various links on the Net.
    For example, downloaded SP1 via MG link, run the System Readiness tool, renamed the Software Distribution folder, run Disk Cleanup, created new System Restore points each time, Full backup, deleted Firewall and AV programs on the possibility they might interfere with installing SP1, ran SFC /scannow, tried SP1 installation in Safe mode as Administrator, updated all Updates outstanding, booted and ran Startup Repair from W7 DVD, etc.

I haven't backed up my Graphics drivers, though, as I thought my Full Backup would take care of this. I have a problem with the Sound driver. No sound. :(But my laptop gave me trouble originally with installing Windows 7 and needed a bit of investigation to tie in my Toshiba, the BIOS, onboard Sound to an appropiate driver). I did find it eventually, downloaded it, installed it and it worked in W7.

I've read/tried most of the links I tracked down on advice as to how to install SP1 with the least amount of trouble. :-D Still not working. :cry

I have a link to a Microsoft W7 support site, so that is probably my next step, I left that to last as I thought I'd go through MG first so maybe my attempts might help any MG'er if they also had trouble installing SP1.

I'll stay with this thread for a few more days, then try the Microsoft W7 support site.

Bazza

===

32. bigbazza

I finally just succeeded in installing SP1. :major :-D :cool

The problems actually dated back to Dec 2010, when I first tried to install MS Office Home and Student 2010. It crashed on install because of "outstanding updates". I tried to install all updates but it still crashed. I gave up for the moment. :-o I tried to install OpenOffice, but that crashed also. :(

Last month I tried to install the new update SP1 for Windows 7. That crashed as well. Read earlier posts in this thread for my various attempts. :cry

Today I got the urge again to install MS Office and W7 SP1.

A search on Google again (http://www.google.com/search?q=0x80070643+windows+7+SP1&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=) on 0x80070643 windows 7 SP1 came up with:

Additional info found.

Latest .NET version at:

Having uninstalled all .NET versions, and then installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4 I was feeling more confident that I have been for weeks, I first tried to install MS Office Home and Student 2010, again.

That worked. :major

Now off to Service Pack 1 for Windows 7. The installation went through OK, and it worked. Hallejuhah. :major

Learning from this: Keep your updates up-to-date. :-D

Bazza

NB: Now to check if my HP printer works with SP1 ;)

Baz

33. Caliban

Good job, Baz, and good info. Glad you finally got it sorted! :major

34. bigbazza

I never cease to be amazed at how HP forces us to uninstall their HP PSC 1410 printer series.rolleyes

Off course, my first thought is to use Revo Uninstaller. LOL
    Ooops, I forgot. rolleyes
    Revo is not the best choice.
    3 or 4 entries popup, no single uninstall option.

Which one to uninstall first?
    Does it matter which is first?
    Who knows.

Then you remember that you have to find/start to reload your original download, (around 360 megs), the one with the stupid *.exe name (bearing no resemblance/indication at all to HP, printers, or anything.).
    BTW, MS doesn't help by not allowing us to add Comments to *.exe files, in Windows 7, or Vista.

Part way through the "reinstall", the option pops up so you can uninstall.
    How bloody stupid. I must admit that after that, the uninstall goes off fairly simply.

I uninstalled, then reinstalled, and I have a printer again. :-D

Of course, one of my cartridges is virtually empty, the colour one.. :cry
    Off to "Cartridge World" refillers tomorrow. ;)
    At least the printer still works in black only. :-D

End of rant. :)

All-in-all, a mostly successful day for a change. ;)

@Caliban, many thanks for your continuing assistance :major
    Glad I could pass on some info TO you, for a change

Bazza

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  35. bigbazza

Re: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Performance Analysis

I was not sure where to post this. In Software, or Hardware, or Interesting Website Forum, so moderators please move it if you see fit.

It checks hardware installed, software, like gaming performance, etc., so is difficult to select one appropriate Forum, so I added it to this thread. :confused

Check out Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Performance Analysis at http://www.ntcompatible.com/news/story/windows_7_service_pack_1_performance_analysis.html
    or
    http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-7-service-pack-1-performance-analysis/

Partial quote:-
    In some tests W7 SP1 is faster than W7, in some tests slower. :confused
    Your choice, of course. :-D

Bazza

36. DavidGP

Its always swings and roundabouts, with some PCs it maybe quicker and some slower, depends on what hardware and software you have installed.

SP1 as I pointed out when the thread started is not a speed fix and really adds nothing in the way of a speed kick, it may because of some kernel updates speed up some PCs but not others, so milage is different.

Plus with the benchmarks you will see minor changes one way or another, maybe its the way the moon was that day, full moon you get a better benchmark and half moon not so much, however in the first test to just make a case in point, 32ms is not earth shattering and dont know about anyone else but I'd never notice that difference in speed in reality.

Personally I find benchmarks futile at best and only a guage of performance and to pit RTM against a SP that had no speed fixes for anthing was or would be a waste of a few hours time, the difference in the test results as I mentioned would not be noticed in the real world usage of your PC.

The best update for Windows 7 in relation to speed increase is a new CPU, raster ram and more of it, superfast HDD or SSD (hence why I went to SSDs for the speed kick in some tasks I do, image manipulation of very large size images and photoshop etc), the SP will not add anything unless in the changelog the information states it may.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds