Wireless won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by typpeo, Feb 19, 2011.

1. typpeo

typpeo Private E-2

We have a fairly new Asus laptop and for some reason we can't get the wireless to turn on any more.

It has a Function button method to turn it on and off and any time you use this button it shows the WLAN simple with a red line through it. No matter how many times you press it it does the samething.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling, ran a security update for the drivers. When I go into the wireless connection and try and turn it on it shows that it has a signal (not sure what to) but a red X next to the connection in Windows 7. I can't actually see any wireless signals so I'm kind of at a loss.

A hard connection works fine and I tried rolling back to a previous version in case it was an update but that didn't help. The wife thinks the cat stepped on the keyboard and that's the only thing I can think of. Is that there is some keyboard command I need to do to turn it back on. There is no hard switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I can't remember HOW to do this is 7, but I know that I had to do it last week when I changed a wireless password key. I had to go in to the advanced settings and find the networks. There is a list where you can change the preferred order or delete networks. Find yours and delete it.

What model Asus is it? Win 7 is making me batty lately.

You uninstalled the drivers or you uninstalled the wireless card? You should uninstall the card and reboot.

It shows connected but also a red X -- I'm going to go with removing the network from the list and re-entering the password first since that is what I had, then I'd move on to checking IP's, etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds