Virus after Skype download

Discussion in 'Software' started by nice.kritic, Mar 17, 2011.

1. nice.kritic

nice.kritic Private E-2

hi i downloaded skype and everyhting was fine, until i got a call form the support service saying i have a virus on my computer, but i just got this laptop im using, and it has Microsoft security essentials virus protection.

i scanned my computer and there was no viruses detected.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO? SHOULD I BE CONCERNED OF A TROJAN VIRUS?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to MGs :)

If you would like to be sure that you are not infected, please perform all steps in this thread: READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

I am curious, though, as to what 'Support' called you and told you you had a virus. This sounds somewhat suspicious to me depending on who it is. Did they tell you to run any certain software to clean it?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've never known any support service to call.

You usually have to initiate contact with support whether it is software, hardware, computer system or ISP.

4. Justshootme

Justshootme Private E-2

Norton Alert of Virus after Skype download

My Norton Security software has been recording Intrusions and authorized access blocks ever since I received a Skype “update” call on or around March 19th. It said my system was infected and that I should download something (can’t remember what type of file) to “clean” my laptop. I chose to simply close the call without doing anything, but that didn’t stop my laptop from being infected (I suspect). Please, please check your virus software for updates, and make sure your firewall is on (mine wasn’t for some reason). Skype NEVER initiates calls to users concerning suspected virus infection! These intrusions are still occurring and so far as I can tell my Norton software is handling them (though I’m still not satisfied that my laptop has not been affected). I've run my own virus scans with Norton and Malwarebytes in safemode,but I'm also going to follow the steps in the READ ME to make sure.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi @ justshootme

Yes I would run through the READ ME malware guide and if anything is found start a new thread in the Malware forum and attach the logs for the malware folk to review, but I'm just wondering if this is a false positive.

What file is listed as the malware, name and path to the location of the file would be useful as would what Windows version and Service Pack you are using?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds