Photoshop 4.0 & Virtual memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by Den, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Den

Den Private First Class

When I try to start Photoshop 4.0 I get a message box that says not enough memory (ram) to launch Photoshop. I don't know what I could have changed to cause this but it has worked properly for a long time. My system is MSI 845pe max 2.-2.53 proc.-2 sticks 512 corsair 3200 ram XP Pro. I did add the second 512 Mb ram recently
    I Thought it may be my virtual ram so I changed it from 748 manual to system managed which is now 1535 allocated = No effect = I uninstalled Photoshop then tried to re-install it. It said this program needs at least 3 Mb of virtual memory to run and would not install. I had to use system restore to get it back but it still won't start and run. With page file set to manual or system managed.

Here is system managed virtual memory = Photoshop will not load or run.

Aida 32 says =
    Physical Memory = Swap space Virtual Memory
    Total – 1023 Total - 2461 Total – 3485
    Used – 246 Used – 118 Used – 363
    Free - 777 Free – 2343 Free – 3121
    Utilization – 24% Utilization – 5% Utilization – 10%

I tried no page file selected and Photoshop starts and runs fine but will not run at all with a page file either system managed or manual settings.
    I did manage to reinstall software over itself but that didn’t help.

Here is with no page file selected = Photoshop will load and run ok
    Physical Memory Swap space Virtual Memory.
    1023 926 1950
    242 121 364
    780 805 1586
    24% 13% 19%

Problem = with any page file size – Photoshop will not run
    Workaround = no page file - Photoshop will run ok.
    I am sure it is something I did or changed myself but with my memory I’ll be damned if I can remember what I did. I don’t want to use no page file all the time. Anyone have any ideas.
    Den

2. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

How about free disk space?

You could also try to re-create Photoshop's general preferences file:

In Windows, exit from Photoshop, rename the file (e.g., to Filename.old), and then restart Photoshop:
    - In Photoshop 4.0.x, the Photos40.psp file is in the Adobe\Photoshop\Prefs folder.
    - In Photoshop 4.0 LE, the Phot40le.psp file is in the Adobe\Photoshop 4.0 LE\Prefs folder.

One more thought I just had. Since 4.0 seems to have problems with WinXP, you may want to try running the compatability wizard and make it run as Win98 or something.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  3. Den

Den Private First Class

Thanks for the reply Jamiko. I have 46 gig left. I'm going to try the pref. thing first. Then another reinstall. After searching even more I have decided that if that doesn't work since the program is rather old and does seem to have problems with xp that I will just trash it and then decide whether to update or not.
    Den

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds