Recovering Data from a SATA HDD, HDD Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom K, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Tom K

Tom K Private First Class

Hey MajorGeeks! :wave
    Please help me if possible. I am trying to recover data from a Hitachi SATA HDD that failed and... get ready... was manufactured in September 2010 rolleyes :(

This drive had the OS installed along with some documents that I would like to recover if possible. I have since replaced the internal drive and reinstalled the OS.

I am using a SATA to USB adapter to attempt this operation. When I plugged the drive in and hooked everything up, there is no recognition of the drive. To be sure the adapter was properly connected, I tried another older SATA drive I had, and sure enough it recognized that one. So apparently the problem exists with the Hitachi HDD.

When I plug it in, I can hear the drive spinning, although there is a muted click every two to three seconds. Other than that, there appears to be nothing unusual.

I have looked through earlier threads here and noted one at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=189484 which references a program Partition Find-n-Mount which looks like it may be of help, but this is my first time doing this so I am not as versatile or knowledgeable as I'm sure several of you are.

One additional thing: This drive is under warranty, and I have to send it back very soon. If I cannot recover the data, would there be a way I could reformat it?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide me.

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

You can try a different USB port on the computer. I've had drives that wouldn't work plugged into one USB port but did in another. But if that doesn't work the drive is probably toast.

Sam

3. Tom K

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, and it didn't work.

What bothers me is that when I plug the HDD in, I'm hearing it spin uneventfully, and I'm almost certain the data is still on there if I could only access it :mad

I've been reading other stuff around the web, and I know it seems very bleak at this point :( But if there are any other suggestions, I'd be glad to try them.

4. Komodo25

Komodo25 Private First Class

Hello

I have had the same issue as you do now.

I hooked my failed HD up to another computer with the SATA cable, then I downloaded MiniTool Partition Recovery http://www.minitool-partitionrecovery.com/recoverymore.html

takes a while so I left it over night and it was finished in the morning...

then i checkmarked what i wanted saved and then clicked save

As for the formating I used MiniTool Drive Wipe...you can adjust how many wipes you want done....1-3 i think...1 was probably plenty but i use 3 wipes...just to be safe

5. Tom K

Hey Komodo,

Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed that application. But the only drive that appeared was my present internal hard drive. The defective one is not being recognized. How did you rectify that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds