SUPERantiSpyware Causing Computers problems WIN XP SP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Electro-User, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Electro-User

Electro-User Private First Class

HP Computer - WIN XP SP3 Media Center

I was having problems with this computer as it would Power Off in Normal Mode (but not in safe Mode) and without being able to remedy this I did a Clean Install of the original WIN XP SP2 from the original disks

I updated to SP3 and the computer worked fine for 24 hours, No Problems. No more Powering Off on its own.

BUT THEN when I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware (paid edition) and after the install and when getting updates it immediately powered off.
    I turned it on again and it powered off again.

I remembered that Norton's 60 day trial was included on the original disks/install but I didn't install it.
    Thinking this may be causing the problems I used the NRT Norton Removal Tools to remove it, rebooted, and as recommened by TimW I rebooted and then ran it again, rebooted

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove SUPERAntiSpyware. I rebooted the computer and it ran fine with no shut downs/Power offs.

Thinking everything was OK I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware and right after the install the SAME THING happened again
    ...it immediately powered off.
    I used Revo Uninstaller to remove SUPERAntiSpyware and the computer is running fine again.

Not sure why this is happening as I have used SUPERAntiSpyware for a couple of years and no conflicts.

Can someone please check the attached logs and see if you see anything that is causing this to happen.

It seems odd the power off problem is happening again after wiping the disks clean and starting new.

I am dumbfounded. :confused

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Reads like the install or SP update didn't go too well, I think I'd start again - slowly.

Wipe and install from the original CD's, check that the Windows Firewall is turned on, check the Setuperr.log in Windows - if there are any errors listed, deal with them first. Then check for errors in the System and Applications logs.

Update the device drivers from HP, starting with the Chipset, check also for any specific patches for your machine. Check in Device Manager that no devices are flagged. Run Windows Update a few times to ensure SP2 is fully updated before updating to SP3 - use the offline/network installer, not the online. Check the Setuperr.log again, any errors logged, deal with them. Then check for recent errors in the System and Applications logs. Go to Windows Update and get SP3 fully updated. Check the logs once more for recent errors.

The plan is to get XP updated and running correctly before adding or running any 3rd party security programs.

3. Electro-User

Re-install XP SP2 again? Really?

For this install I loaded all the patches for SP2 before installing SP3

I just looked for "Setuperr" at C:\Windows\ but couldn't find any folders etc.
    Does that mean there were no errors recorded during start-up?

Also if I re-install XP at what point do I uninstall NORTON?
    After SP3 is installed? Before?

As soon as the install of XP SP2 was complete - Norton keep popping up trying to force me to continue the install and set-up. I didn't remove this until after updated to SP3.

I am wondering if the incomplete set-up of Norton which starts during the install of XP was causing problems?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

5. Electro-User

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds