Bad update from Avast! today?

Discussion in 'Software' started by satrow, Apr 11, 2011.

1. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've just had a call and done some remote support for a friend that has an issue with logging into FaceBook with Firefox, Avast! was giving a warning about "HTML: redirMe-inf [Trj]".

A quick search reveals that she's not the only one with this problem in the last few hours or so; Avast! support site seems to be offline - too many connections.

I got her logged in ok using K-Meleon even though I had to drop the security settings in it. I didn't try IE. My guess is that it's related to the Avast! WebRep add-on but I'm really not sure at this point.

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

I've gotten 3x today a red box from Avast (failure to update). Two of them trying to do a manual update.

Message of one: other HTTP error (403) while trying 208.43.71.1488:80//iavs5x/servers.def (I've got no clue what that means lol) Perhaps it's their servers?

I did a repair in Add/Remove for Avast, rebooted but that didn't help at all. All I saw in Add/Remove there was initially a huge Avast size (197MB) and after doing the repair it was down to 141 MB.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi folks

Avast updated for me earier today ok, but may have been a different dat file, now on my netbook, I get the same as you Oma, have not re-installed as its likely a bad dat or one they have found an issue with and pulled it, as the manual dat exe update file is not available either (gives a 403 Firbidden error, so file is not generally downloadable to general public).

I'm likely to leave it be for now and try the update later on or tomorrow.

4. satrow

From CNET forum.

EDIT: my friend just remoted into my PC, we both have the same Avast! update version yet she logged into her FB acc. here on both FX and IE without any problems, Webshield and Webrep still active - strange!

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I bet the malware forum is going to get slammed with this bad update. :(

6. satrow

The latest Avast! update has been released (110411-2), I hope that'll fix it for everyone.

7. bolski

bolski Private E-2

This was a major problem. Luckily, it wasn't as bad as the McAfee update from last year that pretty much made XP Machines with XP3 unusable until they were patched.

Still, it might be time to look for another AV product. This wasn't the first time this has happened with Avast.

I know companies make mistakes, but really, how can you let something like this slip through the cracks? I understand if it affected a small amount of the user base, but this apparently really hit a lot of people hard, including me.

BTW, I use the paid version of Avast, not the free version. Not good.

8. DavidGP

Hi Bolski

I think you hit thenail on rhe head in that wirh such complex AV application these days issues are going to crop up with all of them at some point, I just feel dumping one to go for another hastily is the wrong way to go, as it maybe a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Having said that if Awil continue with issues with a large proportion of their def updates then users will migrate, but what too? persinslly Microsoft Security Essentials is good and in using it on a few PCs its stable and updates ok, btw on my main Desktop im a Avast user so not wanting too come off ugging MSFT apps, but thunk its a great bare bones AV just like they should be, in less to go wrong.

9. satrow

It happens; better to air your views direct on the Avast! forums, maybe you'll find an explanation there.

To err is human ...

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Have version 110412-0 here. My avast! user panel shows release date for this version as 4/12/11, 5:58:59 AM. I was just logged onto facebook about 1/2 hour ago. No problems. Perhaps the issue you experienced has already been resolved.

11. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I agree with this. Jumping ship with any software of this nature on a snap decision, in my experience, is usually not a wise one, and causes more problems than what you had previously.

I was unaware that Avast was having so many issues. I have this installed on many machines at home and with family and they haven't reported any issues that can be traced back to the product. Besides what we are discussing here, is there some list of things I should be looking for, or really, have subsequent updates eliminated those bugs?

12. satrow

I have a feeling that FB had been aware of this and changed something their end around the time of my first post. By the time I'd made the second post, things seemed to have changed:
    Make sure you get Avast! updated today, the problem may still occur on other sites, as was being reported yesterday.

Re. the MSE option, 3 times on infected PC's - as recently as about two weeks ago, I've manually found malware before MSE did - by anything up to 40 minutes! Also the updates can be waiting on the MSFT servers for many hours before MSE 'decides' to update, I saw this only 5 days ago - waiting 14 hours and ended up downloading them manually even though Microsoft Update was set fully auto and no failed attempts logged - MSE ver 2/VHP fully patched.

Nothing's perfect - layered protection is the only way to try to stop the bad guys from lapping you in the malware arms race. That or a live CD ... ;)

13. DavidGP

I agree and well as far as this thread is concerned Avast for me is working ok, no issues with updates or sites listing as bad.

a glitch prehaps in the virus defs that where issued earlier, but now seems ok, X fingers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds