Political Correctness gone too far

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nedlamar, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok so some of you may think this topic is a bit close to the HBT style, but I honestly would be surprised if any argument ensues given that what I'm about to tell you is just silly.

Been hearing on the news and reading about "Spring Spheres", heard of them?..... no it's not some magical light show you get in Northern Territorys at this time of years., spring spheres are what we normally call "Easter Eggs"
    now I'm not religious really but whatever way you slice it, this Happy Holidays instead of Christmas and now Spring Spheres instead of Easter eggs is just getting stupid, whether you practice Christianity in any form or not, both are tied directly to it and in most peoples eyes both are simply tradition.

What I can't understand is why anyone would be offended by either, ok so you practice a different religion, so does that mean Happy Hanukkah should be Happy Holidays too?..... NO! it's Hanukkah and it's Christmas and it's Easter, different celebrations for different beliefs, much in the same way the US and Canada have Thanksgiving and the UK has the Harvest Festival. Or the US has 4th July, Canada has Canada Day and the UK has St.Georges day.
    I don't see how it's any different, why try and force everyone to change centuries/millenia old traditions?
    You could look at it like the powers that be are trying to unite the world...... and you know what, if that was the case I would join in, but it's not, the reasoning is no where near that nobel.
    It's just some idiot sitting in an office or bored with thier job who comes up with new ways to ruffle feathers.

In actual fact I think it's having the opposite effect than uniting, I think it's dividing.
    I hear many many people gripe about this BS and then start blaming other belief systems and races, when it's all said and done it not the various religions nor races, it's a double standard set by the powers that be.
    These are the same people who cripple the economy and workforce with union ideas and those who believe that if a burgular breaks into your house and hurts himself then YOU are liable.

So in closing, once again I didn't post this to start a fight in any way but if anyone wants to give me a valid reason for 1 belief system to be force to change the name of 2000 years old traditions when those who complain would'nt dream of changing thiers, then please feel free, I would cherish a good reason for this madness.

So with all that in mind, whatever your belief , race or creed..... if you are celebrating this weekend for whatever reason I hope you enjoy it, those who are celebrating it for what it actually is........

Happy Easter! :)

2. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Nicely said friend. I agree 100%. I know that's much to add to the discussion, but you pretty much covered exactly how I feel. I would just like to add that religion causes a whole lot of trouble. Everyone thinks their religion is the right one. I believe we are in 4 wars because of religion. We won't change their beliefs and they won't change ours. I have my beliefs and you have yours. I won't try to change you because I'm not sure I have all the right answers, so lets just be friends and love each other.:)
    PS This political correct BS has gone to far!!:wave

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

England celebrates St. Georges Day. Why they chose a Saint from what is now Turkey probably dates back to politicking during the time of the Crusades.

pedant /off

4. deester

deester Private E-2

Indeed, PC has gone way too far

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'll give you one:-D Children have inquiring minds,they like to know the reasons for the things they do.If they are exposed to Christianity early they may become biased in favour of it because it subconsciously makes them feel good due to what it represented in childhood just like brainwashing.

There you go:-D

I don't agree with all the PC stuff going on either and I certainly don't agree with calling them butt spheres.Moreover I have no idea what egg's and rabbits have to do with each other or Christianity.

Easter eggs are cool kids love them,that's it.

6. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I heard that the church denounces Easter Eggs as symbolic of Pagan Heathenism because the originate from a pagan fertility festival. And they do, but the church forgot to mention that they adopted most pagan beliefs and vestiges, making them saints, to co-erse pagans into converting. Even hell is a scare tactic and not a real thing.

It's all a tangled web. Keep in mind everything I just said is not based on faith, it's based on scholarly debate and is not intended to insult anyone's religion.

But I fully agree that political correctness goes too far on most days. I mean, censoring words associated with a religion because angry atheists don't want to hear about it is silly. If Atheists believed in anything we'd announce happy hey-you-believe-in-something! for them too, just like they do Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and various other popular religions.

Minus paganism. Apparently everyone still thinks badly of them. But I love you guys.

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Basically, I think it's just a joke. LOL

VERY few people would really take that seriously. :foolish

Furthermore, eggs are not spherical, they are oval.

The word oval is actually derived from the Latin for egg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oval

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have been against most of the PC BS for a long time. It seems to me, the longer it has been going on, the more crazy it gets. :confused

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

America is the great "melting pot" and someday we will all be like homogenized goo!! :-D

10. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I totally agree, Ned.

11. TimW

Don't hold back, dyamond!! Tell us what you really think!! :-D:-D

12. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I could, but I don't think many people would like that :-D

13. TimW

Ah, I guess some opinions are best left to oneself. ;)

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

15. Rikky

I like to recite this to kids multiple times and make sure they memorise it before they get any eggs.

16. TimW

C'mon Rikky. Tell the truth. Your really just dying your poop and calling them Easter Eggs!!! :-D:-D

17. Rikky

You got merolleyes Easter eggs are an old Pagan tradition as Wenchie said,Butt spher? I mean butt ellipsoid day is a Rikky family tradition that celebrates waste management efficiency.

18. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Eggs AND Chocolate... win win, right?

19. TimW

I would send Rikky's eggs to be tested!!!!!! :-D:-D

20. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Me too, but only to people I'm not all that fond of.

21. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Thats the best you could come up with?.... You feeling ok? :-D

It breaks down like this, Canada, the USA and of course the UK are Cristian based, the standard has always been Cristian. I went to sunday school and church as a kid, not because my parents are religious but it was simply the "thing to do", normal practice. This practice has fallen by the wayside with the massive drop in religious practice on the whole, but times like xmas and Easter have become more about families being together, a day to stop fighting and working and sit down with family and have a nice day. Thats what they mean to me and many others, so this opinion never came from a religious POV...... it's just tradition in the countries I mentioned and a few others.

It's the old argument, a middle eastern gentleman may come to our (used in a loose sense) country and change our rules because of his belief. But if the situation was reversed there would not only be a dissagreement, you would likely be arrested or in some cases worse. double standard.
    You can have women only insurence companies, but god forbid a male only.... double standard.
    TV stations can have Black Week, but could you imagine the uproar from White Week?........ double standard.

It's all across the board, double standard Political Correctness.

At a push could quite easily cause a war of it's own.
    Let each race, creed and country keep it's traditions, if you are Jewish I will say "Happy Hanukkah" and I would ask he reply with "Merry Christmas"

Let everyone have their beliefs, don't try to change them, don't make fun of them and just respect everyones beliefs, as long as no one is getting hurt, you have no right to knock it.

By the way my easter dinner was great, chicken somethingcosh and ham and veggies etc, top notch :-D

22. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi! We just had a great Easter. The whole family came and we had a great dinner. We hunted eggs and the whole bit. We didn't even talk about religion. Some are Baptist, Some are Catholic. We don't preach to each other. Some go to church, some don't. We love each other and have a good time when we all get together. We don't talk politics or religion. We don't try to convert each other. I use to think I had to preach to my family and convert them. I found out I was only driving them further away. Every one must decide for them selves what to believe and how to live their lives. It's time the USA learned that lesson. We are not going to convert the whole world and make them believe like we do. There are hundreds of different religions. When I find the one that preaches and lives love to each other, I will join. I don't see that ever happening.
    Our little ones had a ball finding the Easter eggs. Some went to church, some didn't. It was a happy day for me and I was happy to be with my family.
    Happy Easter to everyone!!

23. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Belgium is a mainly catholic country but over the years it is being eroded by other minority religions.
    Religions:

Christian: 88.00%

Muslim: 4.00%

Other: 1.00%
    Buddhist, Jewish and other 1%
    Christianity:

Catholics: 8,747,706

Protestants: 143,990

Orthodox: 48,200

Independent: 69,710

In the capitol Brussels the majority is now Muslim due to the influx of immigrants from the north African french speaking countries, we are a multilingual country speaking Dutch (the majority) then French and finally German but in Brussels which is officially bi-lingual (Dutch and French) you will have great difficulty in finding a Dutch speaker other than the police for who it is a requirement of service.

We have been without a government now for over 10 months because of the PC brigade who want to split Brussels off from the Dutch speaking Flanders and it has now deadlocked.

I believe that PC has a place in our lives but it has been taken too extremes by the idiots who are now in charge of the asylum, they demand the unattainable and cause havoc with any administration who want rule of law but the minorities demand special treatment (and get it) under the human rights act which IMHO was the biggest mistake the European union has made because it has made us second class citizens in our own land.

As you can probably guess from this post i am vehemently against the PC mob but i have tried to curtail my venom so that i do not turn this into a HBT and get myself censured.

24. oma

oma MajorGeek

An egg is an egg and shouldn't be called by a different name. If a religion wants to put a prefix to it that's their business. Don't know what actually started to be PC? If people in real life would be so careful not to offend anyone at other times rather than only with religious festivities I'd be delighted.

25. Rikky

Sorry I'm getting old and I agree too much:cool

Little factoid; The European court of human rights has just ruled that women having cheaper car insurance than men is discrimination,so it will soon be law in the UK.

One the news shows the women from women's lib ect. were crying foul,stating that women are better,safer drivers than men.:confused

Seem some in the women's lib movement have forgotten what they were fighting for,or surprise surprise are bigots themselves.

26. TimW

I share Ned's concern. You sure you're not feeling ill??? You take some "cool it" pills? Where is the bite, the sarcasm? I'm worried about you, Rikky!! :-D

27. Rikky

I dunno I just don't really have any emotion wrapped up in this one:confused

I just feel like so what if the PC people want to call Easter eggs spring sphincters?The PC group are brilliant at finding logical injustice around the world,like changing words will change the world or something,armchair revolutionaries.

[​IMG]

28. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

A little bit off topic for a short period.
    They say that they have separated the Church from Government and have taken it out of our schools?
    Don't have the Pledge of Allegiance anymore?
    If they have done that, then why do they close the gov't. offices down on these holidays?
    Post offices, Motor Vehicle depts., courthouses.
    Those people get extra days off work for them.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

29. silas

silas MajorGeek

I wont get into to much but I just keep seeing nonsense in the united states atm. Take the pledge for a example. I am an american just like everyone else that is born/lives in the united states. I don't see why taking out the pledge is a good deal. Its just one of thousands things people want to whine about no matter what religion you are. I just think it keeps getting crazy that people want to take history and statues and placks all down in school because someones parent doesn't like it. I mean what do you want a totally empty school rooms with all flags represented/religion as well?

30. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Weirdly we don't really (in the USA you will celebrate Martin Luther King day a lot more), its a marked day only in the calendar for the main, and kind of dropped off the celebratory days for a number of years, sort of eeks to the PC mentioned in this thread on not offending others, as the cross of St George was banned from many places a number of years back for a World Cup Football series that shows how the UK for 10yrs or so has gone PC mad, but I see the Lord Major of london wants to get the proud to be English spirit back... go Boris!

23rd April slipped my by with no mention of celebrations in the city or on TV etc

I've often wondered why pick a Turk that later joined the Roman Army as an english patron st, wouldnt King Richard the Lionheart be better, but I gather form reading it was due to his fight against the percecution of christians of which he was executed for, and that the dragon depicted in images of him was to symbolise the figth of good over evil.

Whereas St Andrews, St Patricks and St David's days are respectively celebrated more openly and proudly in the devolved states of Scotland, NI and Wales with Bank/Public holidays or with street marches etc as in Wales, but could envoke theirs as a BH via the Welsh Assembely this or next year as its on the cards,

England mind are more likely to not wish to offend anyone and have a NHS Day or Trafalgar Day (although that could upset the French...heaven forbid, off with their heads) instead of St Georges day, and wow as if by magic their is a article in part on this today in the Telegraph

PC.. gone spiralling out of control that folk are now worries to say anything, even jokingly.

31. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

You know this for a fact then?

32. jodevizes

jodevizes Private E-2

Wow I thought it was just us here in the UK that had to put up with this crapola. They put 'Seasons Greetings' on the Christmas cards and call it the winter festival in case it should upset anybody.

If you don't like it, move somewhere else. Simple.

Do you think the foreign nationals in say, Saudi Arabia could get them to stop calling it Ramadan because it might upset them? I think not.

That is the problem when people have imaginary friends, they seem to think that theirs is the best.

33. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Spring Spheres? Sound futuristic.

34. DavidGP

Now if they where spotted over Groom Lake then I'd be suspicious at aliendoods at work, but I now read this article and it made the UK press also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chool-renames-Easter-eggs-Spring-Spheres.html

Had to laugh at the article as a few quotes "spring spinningly" out to me.

The roll with it bit had me LMAO

Cannot fool children.

35. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Welp, considering that Easter is originally a Pagan fertility cult symbol, as is the Rabbit, it makes the 'spring spheres' irrelevant.
    The fact that eggs are neither spheres, (ovoids maybe), and that it's Autumn and not Spring for half of the world makes the while term even more ludicrous.
    Try telling a five year old kid "here's your spring spheres.rolleyes
    Tell ya what, all the Christian haters - why don't ya get your butts off to work during Easter, Sundays and most holidays, since most of them are Christian based as well.rolleyes LOL
    Next they'll be telling us the Tooth Fairy should be the "dentally challenged little person".;):-D

And with the St.George thing. It's no more weird than, say St. Patrick being and Englishman, (Romano-Briton, if ya want to be picky).;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  36. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

"Little person" is non-PC. It should be "vertically challenged" so you end up with the "dentally challenged vertically challenged person". However, "dentally challenged" would refer to the person who has lost a tooth (or anyone who has lost at least one tooth, permanently or temporarily), so it should in fact be the "vertically challenged tooth collector" as "tooth" is perfectly PC.

If you understand that I congratulate you. ;)

37. satrow

St Patrick = born in Wales.

38. Phantom

Never reall looked close enough to see if the Tooth Fairy wears dentures or not, eh.LOL
    @ Satrow: Yeah, he was a Taffy originally, wasn't he.

The whole politically correct thing is in it's fundamental form, just a way of Politicians getting the populace, (that's you and me) to think in the same hypocritical, sycophantic, self-serving manner, as Politicians. It's the lazy Politician's paradise. Get the public to think in B.S. terms then they don't have to do any convincing. And woe betide any pariah who says differently.....Hrumph!!;)

39. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Makes perfect cents ยข.
    The one "dentally challenged" is the proud recipient.

I once realized that "Mail Man" is doubly incorrect.
    It should be "Person Person". :confused

Has the Person Person delivered your "letters" today?? ;)

40. Phantom

I put it to you that the Tooth fairy Is in fact, dentally challenged. The fact that she/he finds it necessary to constantly procure teeth, is defacto evidence that she/he requires teeth. Or maybe it's just a tooth fetish kinda thing?:yum The same, said fairy also has to answer to the Tooth Prices Justification Tribunal - I mean, sixpence for a tooth. What rip-off!:mad

I seen the advert when the little kid loses a tooth and then switches the tooth for Grandma's false teeth.LOL

Bah, eat enough Easter Bum-nuts and you'll 'prolly need the Tooth Fairy real soon.

41. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

42. DavidGP

I know thats how it "could" get if we or our politicians allow the small minority word police groups get too much of a foothold, which I think is too late. Seems we need to walk around these days with a spin doctor or speech writing team behind us before we speak.

Where I work we have to each year (or two years I forget, think its two) as well as multitude of other training updates do Equality and Diversity training, when you actually read the samples and then the answers half contradict what you would think was allowable... took me two hours to complete first time around to re-read the topics again.

I found it confusing as what was right to call someone and I'm coming off colinsl's post earlier with this and I was'nt the only one in work to say so either, so you end up self concious too much when chatting to folk to make sure you say the right thing, not always going to happen as we are human and a PC slipup will happen. Worst thing is in industry everyone is so anal about PC now, is that one oops! could cost you your job.

43. Rikky

44. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

All religion was invented by man, and is believed based on the needs of an individual to explain, connect with, and understand the universe around them. So, technically, none of it is real, or fact, in the technical sense. What is and is not in regards to faith is just that FAITH which exists in the heart and minds of those who believe in it.

That being said, as Christianity spread north through pagan territory early in it's history, many pagan religions were assimilated into the faith to make it more palatable of a transition. Pagan gods and godesses were made into Christian saints, and those who did not convert were told of this place, hell, where all non Christian souls were doomed to suffer for all eternity for their disbelief in the one true God. The farther it spread, so evolved the descriptions, and what could and could not land you in said hell. After it was committed to doctrine it was incorporated and religious truth and thus is now a fundamental belief in most Christ based faith systems.

It's fascinating, the evolution of religion. I don't have faith, but i have curiosity and the anthropology behind it is absolutely fascinating. Of course, in some places in the world what I just said would still get me executed as a heretic as it definitely would have as little as 300 years ago.

45. DavidGP

46. motc7

Again, I'll ask. You have 100 percent proof to back up this claim?

47. satrow

Do you have ANY proof otherwise?

Wenchie, ask the witch finders to collect more faggots and fix up another post, I'm joining you.

48. motc7

Actually, yes I do.

But what I was more pointing to is the perceived tone of the post, to wit, making their assertion seem as supremely correct when offering no evidence to disprove the existence of a supreme being.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  49. satrow

I shan't hold my breath waiting for the supreme being to log in and defend itself.

50. motc7

Cynicism, or disbelief is o.k., well not preferable by myself as a believer, because it is the faith that something does not exist. Wenchie had part of his/her (don't know if it's a chick or not) right in that religion, i.e. man made doctrine, was created by man, but not to explain things particularly, but to control people.

But to say that G-d, Himself does not exist, is to make an absolute statement. To make such a claim, one must have absolute knowledge in order to absolutely say that He doesn't exist. He cannot prove that G-d doesn't exist, but only speculate. Otherwise, he/she must claim to have absolute knowledge to make such a claim.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds